What do you feed your Koi?

Reaction score
We feed our koi pond fish food (Rise) that we purchase in Agway in 50 lbs bags.
One bag each summer. We also hand feed lots and lots of fresh earth worms,
the koi will come out of the water and jump into your hand for worms. :)

p8250013__rev_trv_silver_8-24-03.jpg

...and for a special treat, an occassional beer is welcomed ...hicup!

P1010097pond_rev__7-24-06.JPG

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
YOU GIVE THEM BEER? my prefer shots of Jack Daniels................lol

WARDLEYS TEN...TETRAPOND....HIKARI....AQUAFARMS..AND EVERY VEGETABLE ,AND FRUIT... MULTI GRAIN, AND HONEY NUT CHEERIOS.

Reaction score
Hi, we feed primarily koi food that we get delivered from an online supplier, but this Summer we started introducing some fresh veggies. We found they weren't impressed with Bok Choy or broccoli, but they loved cherry tomatoes and cucumber. Earthworms too are gobbled up quickly. We have also used Cherrios sometimes. Found that some of the fish are more apt to try new things than others. Reminded me of babies that spit things back out they don't like! lol

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
bananas, are good ...use a vegetable / potatoe peeler and shave off some next time your enjoying one yourself. watermelon they all like but is an occasional snack, it have little nutritioal value. lightly cooked / steamed or canned green peas,and green beans are great. green peas are a sool softyener of sorts and help keep a clean healthy digestive tract. smashed garlic has natural antibiotic properties. and in general variety is a spice to life.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Wardleys TEN (total essential nutrition)..thats the 5lb bag...$19.99 buys the 10lb saves $5.00....10lb bags are at Walmart as well.

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
Wardleys TEN (total essential nutrition)..thats the 5lb bag...$19.99 buys the 10lb saves $5.00....10lb bags are at Walmart as well.

Thanks. You're lucky to live by a good Walmart store. Not many Walmart stores carry 5 or 10-lb-bags. I'm running low on my reserve on pellets
because I couldn't even find any bag at this lousy Walmart Store (no 5 lbs nor 10 lbs):

The Pet Department is really disorganized in there. I spoke to 2 stock clerks who said they're "new". They couldn't help me. I guess I have to look for another Walmart store far far away.

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention, I feed my fish "Koi Vibrance" fish food.

Can you feed them maggots? I was wondering that the last time I had them in the garbage can.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My koi loves Bok Choy, Shrimp, cooked sweet potatoes and watermelon.
You people in the northern states should be feeding food with some protien in it to get your koi through the winter.

Reaction score
Pellets mainly, but also give them fruit and cucumbers. I sometimes use leftover breakfast cereal for that morning snack/carb blast/vitamins. Koiguy mentioned garlic, I read someplace that when introducing new foods it's a good idea to mix garlic in. They must like it, never tried.

Ask a Question