What do you think is the most important depth for planting shelves to be

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
At what depth do you find yourself placing most of your aquatic plants?
And at what depth do you wish you had more of?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our shelves are all two tiered - the first is about 8-10 inches deep and holds the rocks, the second level is about 12-16 inches deep for plants. Most everything in my pond is planted directly in the pond - either between the rocks or directly in the gravel on the shelves, so I can adjust the depth by adding more or less gravel. I have one spot in my pond where I wish the shelf was wider, but I've learned to work with it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our shelves are all two tiered - the first is about 8-10 inches deep and holds the rocks, the second level is about 12-16 inches deep for plants. Most everything in my pond is planted directly in the pond - either between the rocks or directly in the gravel on the shelves, so I can adjust the depth by adding more or less gravel. I have one spot in my pond where I wish the shelf was wider, but I've learned to work with it.
I'm Looking at all the extra liner that I have due to the shape of my pond and saying to myself that I can't count how many times I saw people say in posts they wish they hadn't cut the liner but tucked it in. I do have a lot of liner left and I was thinking about doing a lot of planting areas flat shelves but like 4 feet wide but erratic shapes. but I was thinking different depths maybe a walk out type at the surface with a 12" drop and a 18" drop as most of my shelves are 24" with the exception of the one original large plateau

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can walk completely around the waterfall side of our pond on the shelf - it's great. When I need to make adjustments to the falls or pull algae or other debris off the rocks, I'm not worried about falling in the pond. It's also fun to see the fish poking around on that shelf. The shelf on the near side is much narrower and gave me a big of a problem with my plants in the beginning. So I would say your shelves should be at least wide enough to hold a pot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Also, let me say - there's extra liner... and then there's EXTRA LINER:

Lots of liner.JPG

I laugh every time I see this. We CLEARLY did not want to run short on liner! But obviously this had to be trimmed back to a manageable amount of liner around the edge. We shifted as much as we could to one side so we could trim off one big strip that we could save for some other project. (Don't ask me what project - I have no idea!) But we still have a good amount of excess liner around the pond that I strategically folded and concealed behind the rock edge. I have no idea why we saved so much, since this particular pond couldn't get any bigger. I think I had some odd thought like "what if the pond starts to sink?" I know... I'm weird! I did find that the liner being folded up high behind the rocks (and then concealed by mulch or more rock/gravel on the exposed side) gave me peace of mind. Being able to see my liner was somehow reassuring to me that first year that we didn't have a low edge that could lose water. Again - I'm weird! Now it's all hidden by growing things, but I don't have those same fears anymore.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also, let me say - there's extra liner... and then there's EXTRA LINER:

View attachment 109676

I laugh every time I see this. We CLEARLY did not want to run short on liner! [/ATTACH]

Well you are not alone . I too did not want to run short all the web sites said to take the depth by 2 and the width and add 1 foot per side. Well in watching the install of skimmers and leave some slack in the liner I figured i'd want to do the same with the rock walls leave a fold so the rubber didn't get stretched. to I added an extra 5 feet. well when I lost 3 feet in depth over the winter that now ment I was 11 feet of extra over the extra the experts recommended . oppps But I hope to use it in the stream area or even a rubber roof for the pump house on the retaining wall.[/QUOTE]

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
GBBUDD, depth of the shelves depends on what and how you want to plant. Keep the plants in pots, or directly in the gravel. What plants do you prefer. I think between 12-18" deep planting beds from the top of the gravel bed will give you plenty of options for most plants, either way. As lisa, said you can always add more gravel depending on your need.

I like the idea of making a walk out area, have that in my pond as well. The only plants I left in pots are lilies in the 3.5' deep end of the pond and an iris in a large pot that I couldn't remove now even if I wanted to...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
GBBUDD, depth of the shelves depends on what and how you want to plant. Keep the plants in pots, or directly in the gravel. What plants do you prefer. I think between 12-18" deep planting beds from the top of the gravel bed will give you plenty of options for most plants, either way. As lisa, said you can always add more gravel depending on your need.

I like the idea of making a walk out area, have that in my pond as well. The only plants I left in pots are lilies in the 3.5' deep end of the pond and an iris in a large pot that I couldn't remove now even if I wanted to...
@Jhn do you have pictures of your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I agree about wishing my shelves were wider in spots. I had a couple of plants fall off and now they are down at the bottom like the Titanic. But I don't want to put my head down under that poopy water in order to go down and get the pot.
@Lisak1 - I have a walking shelf around the base of the waterfall too and I agree with you on all counts! It's great for doing maintenance and it is a very fun place to watch the goofy goldfish! They love messing around in the fast water and do all sorts of strange things in that area. Very entertaining for me - and them, apparently!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
[QUOTE="
I have a walking shelf around the base of the waterfall too and I agree with you on all counts! It's great for doing maintenance and it is a very fun place to watch the goofy goldfish!

The shelves are nearly 3 feet wide or wider in the pond but it would appear they are a bit deep as it's 24 to 32 inches deep depending on where your measuring. Thus the idea of using the extra liner to create some shallow areas along side the rock shelves that will edge the pond. and even make a beach area.

Got a mini excavator tonight after bringing home 3 yards of 3/4 round to begin making the bog but unfortunately all I can do is dig the shelves that the mafia blocks for the retaining wall will sit on as there is no way a mini ex can lift a full size mafia block as they weigh 4000 pounds each . But I can dig out where the bog will be and use the material/soil to build up the stream and falls to the height I want being 48" above the water level of the pond. Ill add some pictures tomorrow.

Ask a Question