Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
With turtle rescue or any animal rescue comes that inevitable question, what to do with a lost case with no hope ? Such as massive trauma and infection. Well so far I have only came up with one method and I know this sounds sad but this is reality. My personal method is what I call "well deserved rest" in which we put the dying, sick, injured turtle in a bath of warm water with an anesthetic that does not numb the turtle but will ease any pain followed by a slow decrease in temp until the turtle goes into torpor (napping) and finally an infusion of nitrogen gas which is the only way to remove oxygen from the system without a panic or pain response which takes about 2 minutes until the turtle is gone... Yes I know its sad but an injured turtle can suffer for up to 40 days otherwise so you have to be prepared in my line of work for these situations.

Heres some of the "science" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inert_gas_asphyxiation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
:cry:

How do you slowly decrease temp?

Not that I want to do it, just curious.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
:cry:

How do you slowly decrease temp?

Not that I want to do it, just curious.
You just slowly turn down the water heater and circulate a slow flow of cold water into the filtration system which allows the process to go very slowly as not to stress the turtle out. It also depends on how bad the turtles condition is and if they are in excrucuating pain then you try to speed up the process because the stress of the water temp changing is not nearly as bad a long drawn out death while suffering. I personally go to some extreme lengths to save every turtle I can even those that most vets would give up on so only extreme cases warrant euthanasia under my care but sadly there are very few people who will help these incredible creatures I care so much about. Tha's why I try and give any young people who come to the rescue a very in-depth tour and info plus answer any questions. Hopefully that will inspire some of them to care for these fellas in the future to preserve the amazing treasure that all turtles are.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Marshall That sounds like a very compassionate approach. I really hate to see any creature suffer (well, except fire ants -- I don't care if they suffer!), and just the thought of what it might be going through brings me to tears!

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
@Marshall That sounds like a very compassionate approach. I really hate to see any creature suffer (well, except fire ants -- I don't care if they suffer!), and just the thought of what it might be going through brings me to tears!
I always get a sick feeling in my stomach whenever I have to take one of them out to the safe room as there is only one reason turtles ever go in that area but, after it is done there is a weird calming effect that seems to permeate the room and I know it sounds cliche but it is almost like the turtles "spirit" is somehow replying a final thank you before moving on.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
PS: The rescue Boxies (currently 3) said they don't have any love for fire ants either :cautious: lol. Poor fellas are always attacked if they run into fire ants but so far I have been able to mitigate them completely as a side effect of the "anti-dig/tunnel" barriers that keep the sliders from digging out of the rescue perimeter fence.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Marshall Not cliché at all, and I know this might sound equally "cliche," but my "connection" with turtles started before I was born....and a story told by my parents (something that happened to them on a road trip many years before I came along). Fast forward to present day. I am involved in Boy Scouts and am a member of Order of the Arrow. Don't know how much or little you know..... But OA's founding "totem" (for lack of a better word) is a turtle. Then, when I made Vigil, my name translates to "Helpful Turtle." Turtles are a part of my soul, or my "spirit," so to speak. I FEEL what you are saying!

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
@Marshall Not cliché at all, and I know this might sound equally "cliche," but my "connection" with turtles started before I was born....and a story told by my parents (something that happened to them on a road trip many years before I came along). Fast forward to present day. I am involved in Boy Scouts and am a member of Order of the Arrow. Don't know how much or little you know..... But OA's founding "totem" (for lack of a better word) is a turtle. Then, when I made Vigil, my name translates to "Helpful Turtle." Turtles are a part of my soul, or my "spirit," so to speak. I FEEL what you are saying!
Although you and I are clearly huge fans of turtles and are probably biased, I still think that when all is sorted and weighed you will not find an animal that is as wise or ancient as the humble turtle. Any creature that can live for 150+ years and witness 3 to 5 generations of its own offspring come of age is wise by any standard. I think it is only natural that although turtles are by far one of the least "popular" animals on overall number of people those that do you like them are seriously into them on as you said an almost "spiritual" level.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucaryan

Latest Threads