what do YOU think?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
[ame]
kids can be a ponders worse nightmare..........what do you think should have been their punishment?? this made me think of somone here who had lost his fish to the neighborhood idiots.. he said he was gonna give up his pond, i believe it was BBK.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
jail time, and replacement of fish. but not at what the pond owner paid for the fish, but what it would cost to replace them at their current size....a $50.00 fish bought 5 years ago maybe a $400.00 fish now! and maybe made to maintain the pond for a season.(with your supervision of course). filter cleaning, vaccuuming, power washing if neccessary...all the dirty work..

Reaction score
How old were these kids? Parents should be held liable for all damages, not much you can do to the minors perhaps 100 hours (or more) CS.

Reaction score
jail time, and replacement of fish. but not at what the pond owner paid for the fish, but what it would cost to replace them at their current size....a $50.00 fish bought 5 years ago maybe a $400.00 fish now! and maybe made to maintain the pond for a season.(with your supervision of course). filter cleaning, vaccuuming, power washing if neccessary...all the dirty work

Not going to happen, although I agree it should. Legally, its hard to get the replacement value out of a pet. Remember the wheat glutten fiasco?

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong koiguy, it's not that I think there punishment should'nt be severe, it's that I think, and unfortunetly so, it won't be.

Assuming the kids are minors, jail time is out of the question. Restitution for a pet is almost always limited to purchase price, which is shame. It would be interesting to know if this was an act of pure malous, or retribution for something we are unaware of. None the less, what a shame...........

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no i dont recall the wheat gluten fiasco.. but restitution for loss of property, should be viable regardless of wether it was animate or inanimate in the commission of a crime.even if its in civil court and not as part of the criminal case. and i know of minors who spent time in juvenile hall for lesser crimes....and the shame of it is these kids who did the soap thing here were probably just thinking it was gonna foam up or something stupid like that.

Reaction score
The wheat glutton fiasco had to do with the tainted dog food and resultant deaths that came from it. I lost a 2 1/2 month puppy from it. And your right about the restitution for loss of property as pets unfortunatly fall under that category legally (in most states). Typically, your limited to the replacement value of the property, which I suspect would be hard to prove to be worth more than the purchase price in something as subjective as a koi.

As far as recieving compensation for things like emotional distress, etc etc, pet owners options are extremely limited.

It does make a good case for us to be sure to save our reciepts when we purchase..........

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think in addition to the parents paying all the damages, the kids should be made to perform cleaning and maintenance on the victims pond weekly for a minimum of 1 year without fail. Any single failure would add a month to the sentence.
They would learn a little respect for what goes into haveing a healthy pond.

Reaction score
I am not sure I would want them near my pond........And what if during this term an honest mishap happened leading to more koi deaths? I would prefer they spend there year doing work at a local animal shelter myself............

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thats why i specified with owners supervision.. so youd know exactly whats up!! if it was me id want to be out there barking orders and making sure the work was performed to my specifications.. not to mention i would constantly remind them of their actions stupidity. but evey other weekend would suffice, they could spend the alternate times shoveling dog crap and bathing them etc..etc..

Reaction score
I dunno, the urge to hit them in the back of the head with said shovel would be more than I could bear...........

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think a year of pond maintenance would eventually win them over to being responsible ponders if they were not hounded every time unless they resisted and then the court or probation officer could intervien if necessary.
An animal shelter will do absolutly nothing. The lesson is why they should respect ponds not how to clean up dog poop.

Reaction score
gosh, why the heck would a kid do something like this?? I mean, they actually looked like older kids in the vid! Something's gotta be said for how these parents raised these kids, too. I mean, I would never dream of doing this as a child--knowing full well that if my parents found out what I did they'd skin me alive.

That's the problem with kids today. They have no fear of their parents or of the repurcussions. I can't imagine how insanely crazy I'd be if I was the owner of this pond. How devastating to come to the pond the next morning and see senslessly dead creatures and the water full of foam.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the animal shelter would further the "consequences to you actions" train of thought...
..but wether or not they become ponders is irrelevant to me, sure that would be a plus, but if they never owned a pond i wouldnt care, just so long as they saw their error and learned to respect others right to have and enjoy one but not just ponds.. any and all personal property.
P.S..you know...we also need to consider the plant life that may have suffered here also.. pond plants aint cheap either

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucaryan

Latest Threads