what do you use on the bottom of your pond?

Reaction score
I have heard varying recommendations on what to use on the bottom of the pond. Do you all have better experiences with just leaving the liner (or gunnite or whatever), or putting down gravel, river rock, or something else? I have gravel, which worked well for a number of years, but has now caught all sorts of decomposing junk and is making it hard to maintain good water quality. :confused:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That is the major problem with rocks on the bottom, most leave just the bare liner, once it covers with algae it blends in fine, Rocks trap debris and as your finding out can cause all types of problems. I use rocks but I do lift them twice a year to clean out from under them, I need them because my water table during a heavy rain rises and has pushed up the liner in the past. I don't recommend using rock on the bottom but there are case by case situations where what is bad for one pond is not for another.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't use rocks for just the reason fishin stated. Like to keep it free and easy to clean and keep water quality at its best. Much easier to stick a net in there and scoop out any gunk that builds up and my pond is over 3ft deep so can't see the bottom that easy anyway and everything covers w/ the nice fine algae on the surface of the liner which is good for the pond and fish like to nibble on also :confused:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love rocks, but don't have them in the bottom of the pond. The folds in the liner look like rocks, the pond is 5 feet deep, I don't want to be in the muck trying to clean the rocks. Far easier to sweep and scoop.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I made the rock mistake at first. Scooped them all out after six months. Once the liner grows some alge it looks natural.

Reaction score
I've wondered why they don't make a liner with a picture of real rocks on it. It would make the edge of it that is exposed a lot more appealing even with the folds in it. It sure would beat trying to hide a black liner.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Bullfrog said:
I've wondered why they don't make a liner with a picture of real rocks on it. It would make the edge of it that is exposed a lot more appealing even with the folds in it. It sure would beat trying to hide a black liner.

They do make a product called "rock on a roll" I believe. It is designed for the sides of the pond.

Ask a Question