What does Tofu taste like?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't like the look of Tofu, but since I don't eat meat I have to look for other sources of proteins and I learned that Tofu is made with beans so I'm considering giving it a try but I'm not good at trying new foods, can you guys tell me what it tastes like?

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Whatever it's cooked in.
It's the consistancy that I dislike the most.
But, I must say. My wife LOVES the stuff.
It's not made with beans. It IS fermented soy bean.
I suggest that your introduction to it be in a professionally cooked dish......Like at a Chinese restaurant.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry but think I would prefer beans over tofu .I don't like any kind of food from those eat out places .I had a friend who worked in a couple and the stories she told scared me away .I got food poisoning 2 times here from places my sister wanted to go for her birthday and so did she and my other sister .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
It has a bit of a taste but nothing off-putting, but if you press it to drain it and then marinate it, it will soak in the marinade. If you don't like the consistency, you can freeze it first. If you freeze it, it almost gets a ground beef consistency if you shred it with a fork or processor. There are many different firmness level available as well.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We make a few dishes with Tofu, and like others have said, it takes on the taste of whatever you cook it with. We use it in a 100% vegetable Lasagna that you would be hard pressed to distinguish from a regular Lasagna. We us e the recipe from the Engine 2 cookbook.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well add brussell sprouts to your veggie lasagna ,make it even better .But then I do love anything veggie .My sister makes what she calls a fruit lasagna and boy is that good .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
please don't generalize tofu, there so many different types and many have unique flavors and textures
One of the few base ingredients you can use for appetizers, main courses, desserts, condiments and beverages. Think of soybeans like flour and all the different things you can make with dough from the flour.

Most people think tofu as only this
upload_2017-12-12_11-39-8.jpeg

tasteless blocks of mushiness, ask an Asian person to eat cottage cheese and you might get a similar reaction

There are endless types and I can recommend different varieties for the best applications. Even the one above has different varieties and textures. I personally like the really soft version, called silken. Chop it up in to small cubes and it adds substance in soups. Cut it into planks and freeze it, the texture changes completely and can be used in stir fries.
https://jet.com/product/detail/5e15...82DYaR--s9xCH-skxMwuqf19uMYYOcLRoCg5AQAvD_BwE

One of my favorites are rolled tofu sheets which has a nice consistency like meat. Sometimes its called mock-chicken. Don't get the canned version, YUCK
10415-companion-mock-chicken-braised-bean-curd-front-1.jpg

the instead the fresh version you need to slice yourself
dsc04028.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I a
sorry but think I would prefer beans over tofu .I don't like any kind of food from those eat out places .I had a friend who worked in a couple and the stories she told scared me away .I got food poisoning 2 times here from places my sister wanted to go for her birthday and so did she and my other sister .
l ready have beans in my diet, and peas and chickpeas...I'm looking for something new
We make a few dishes with Tofu, and like others have said, it takes on the taste of whatever you cook it with. We use it in a 100% vegetable Lasagna that you would be hard pressed to distinguish from a regular Lasagna. We us e the recipe from the Engine 2 cookbook.
That sounds good!
I love veggie lasagna. Although I do use cheese in it.
I will never give up cheese, hek I can't even cut down I love it so much!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do love anything veggie . .
Me too! I can get hubby to eat some veggies but my 3 boys totally hate it
please don't generalize tofu, there so many different types and many have unique flavors and textures
One of the few base ingredients you can use for appetizers, main courses, desserts, condiments and beverages. Think of soybeans like flour and all the different things you can make with dough from the flour.

Most people think tofu as only this
View attachment 107078
tasteless blocks of mushiness, ask an Asian person to eat cottage cheese and you might get a similar reaction

There are endless types and I can recommend different varieties for the best applications. Even the one above has different varieties and textures. I personally like the really soft version, called silken. Chop it up in to small cubes and it adds substance in soups. Cut it into planks and freeze it, the texture changes completely and can be used in stir fries.
https://jet.com/product/detail/5e15...82DYaR--s9xCH-skxMwuqf19uMYYOcLRoCg5AQAvD_BwE

One of my favorites are rolled tofu sheets which has a nice consistency like meat. Sometimes its called mock-chicken. Don't get the canned version, YUCK
10415-companion-mock-chicken-braised-bean-curd-front-1.jpg

the instead the fresh version you need to slice yourself
dsc04028.jpg
what would you recommend to people that like mixed salads and stir fry veggies?

Reaction score
The making of tofu starts with making soy milk from soybeans, then you culture it in similar ways that you do regular milk to make cheese, curds, yogurt, etc... It has less oil and fat content and typically tends to be drier and have less taste the cultured milk products but Qclabrat's example of cottage cheese is a pretty good comparison. My wife often uses it in Asian recipes, I'm not crazy about it, but I don't dislike it.

I do enjoy these tofu dessert products we buy sometimes and they are probably a good place to try tofu for the first time.
DSCF437000-680x510.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh my if it's still healthy after all them added flavors, I'm sold!

Ask a Question