What does your pond look like ... Today?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I didn't feel a thing here
upload_2017-12-1_12-16-36.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Took my December 1st picture yesterday after the cleanup was all done. I wish I had taken it before I cleaned up to show how helpful it is to have plants all around the pond. Even that vinca along the front edge catches so many leaves before they make it into the pond. I filled an entire yard cart from the leaves I raked up from around the pond.

This is definitely one of the sadder pictures I took this year! Although there is still beauty if you look for it - the plumes on that grass will look lovely all winter long. And my vegetable gardens are still producing - the kale is delicious at this time of year, after we've had a frost and I dug up enough carrots for one more meal.

And you can see the vault is open - topping off the pond for hopefully the last time until spring! Hauling the hose out in the winter is never fun!

Pond December 1.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Took out my small pump for the winter. The big pump is still running for now, but weather is supposed to change by next week so I may be replacing it with the breather.

What do you guys do with hoses over winter? Take them out and store them? Will they crack if you leave them in the pond?
I run the pond as always until the pump in the skimmer starts to straggle, then I turn pump off and leave everything as is until ice melt, and the pump can be turned back on

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh you never know you may get 3 feet of snow also ;)They are calling for snow up near Roanoke VA (over an hour away )and they are putting that salt brine down on the roads here ,they panic here stores are packed .My sister called since she stopped to pick up dog food and figured she would call to see if we needed anything .She said no bread and no milk and she was laughing at people when she called me .GEEZE

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice net tbendl!

People do panic if a drip of snow is coming! We have snow coming to MD even calling for a trace in north florida, down here temp just dropping, non stop news about it. Get the COATS out it will be in the high 60's low 70's. A few nights might be high 40's.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are under a winter weather alert and have had flurries north of us. They put sand on the bridges to help with the freezing because we don't have salt. Lol
utoh.............tbendl is going to get a real winter.............SNOW

Ask a Question