What else do I need to do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Pond is a garden pond, less than 300 gl, deepest part is 2 feet, 4 shubunkin goldfish and I live in zone 7b about an hour north of Charlotte, NC.

I removed as many leaves as I could and covered the pond with window screening to keep more leaves from going in. Their are still some leaves but you really have to look to find them.

All the plants are cut to the base and moved to the deepest part of the pond.

I am now only feeding twice a week. It gets only down to below 40 at night consistently and daytime is routinely 55 or above. The fish are still active and eating.

The fountain is still running until the pond aerator I ordered comes in and I can turn it off.

I was wondering if I could just leave the fountain in the pond turned off over the winter or if I need to take it out?

Is there anything else I need to do for the winter?

Thanks in advance.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
depends on the temps. of your water .I am still feeding a little because water is at 60 degrees .I am not that far up from you .I live on the NC border in VA near Eden NC .Did you purchase a pond heater or something to keep an opening in any ice that may form.Leaving your pump depends on how deep your pond is and if freeze could damage or crack something .How deep is the fountain head .Most times you can just remove the head and lower the pump a little to safe guard it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Does the water freeze in the winter? If it does I would recommend to take the fountain out. I always take all my pumps out so they don't freeze unless they are turned on and are running.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you. That was a big question I had.

Here is where science diverges with opinion. Fish feed all,winter long, albeit at lower levels. They could not maintain any meaningful metabolic rate without nutrient intake. If your fish are actively feeding, maintain your current feeding program only reduce the amount as water temperatures drop. Starved fish have very little energy reserves to call on as protection against pathogens when water warms in the Spring.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You are about an hour south of me ,so like said you may need to still feed them wheatgerm food .Get some type of thermometer so you know the temps. of the pond water .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
This question cannot be answered without a thermometer to tell us the pond water temperature. Ebay has them for cheap.

Ask a Question