What filter and pump would you suggest?

BBK

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my pump and filter to a pressurized canister filter. What brand/size would you recommend for a 7X3X3 pond? I'm currently running a 200 gph pump and its just not enough. I'm looking for something cheap, but effective.

Don't need UV on the filter as I have a unit running already.

Reaction score
I can't say enough about the Laguna pressure filters and pumps. You don't mention if you are looking for a submersible or external filter, but can only assume that you are planning on an submersible since you are thinking pressure filter. Visit the laguna ponds site and you can see how to match up the press. filters to the appropriate pump based on your pond size. I would go with the Pressure-flo 1400 for your sized pond and a max-flo pump. These pumps are in a cage, which makes them a little more impervious to muck getting into them. You just can't have enough filtration, so maybe you want to upsize to the p-flo 2100. All of them also have a built in UV, which works wonders when it comes to keeping that green water away.

My smallest pond is the size of yours, and it feeds into my larger pond, so I'm still going to keep my pressure flo filter, but am also adding a 55 gallon bio filter too. I'm also upgrading to a sequence pump as I'm adding a retro-bottom drain and skimmer.

I plan on saving my max flo pump just in case I have pump issue and can quickly throw it back in as a back up.

I was very pleased for 5 years with my laguna set up and my water was crystal clear. No complaints and I never had a hiccup with the equipment. Several years ago my max flo mistakenly came out of the water (my error), and it ran dry for hours. I simply put it back in and it never failed. Took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. It's also easy to backflush. I think they might have a little video on the site as to how the filter works.

Also, I'm very concerned about wattage/electricity use, and Laguna's are very thrifty when it comes to this area. Be careful to check wattage, particularly on the pumps. You'll be shocked at what some of these consume.

If you want an inline pump, you can try a Pondmaster, the also have a great reputation, too.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
You don't mention if you are looking for a submersible or external filter, but can only assume that you are planning on an submersible since you are thinking pressure filter.

Oops! I meant to say: You don't mention if you are looking for a submersible or external :goldfish:pUMP:goldfish:, but can only assume that you are planning on an submersible since you are thinking pressure filter.

Just to clear up any confusion.

Reaction score
Ok, seems like you're trying to save some pennies, which I totally respect. Same reason why I'm making a DIY barrel filter right now.

But, that pressure filter is junk. I had one of those when I first got into ponding 10 years ago and I didn't know what I was doing. I got it because it was the cheapest thing. The covers just screw on and are ridiculously hard to get off when you want to clean it. They are also really hard to clean up, with no backwash or even a drain (tho i guess you can just DIY a bottom drain on one of these).

Why are you thinking about a "pressure" filter? These are really psuedo press filters (they can claim that simply because of the screw top so it's technically all sealed, but it really doesn't have the benefits of the laguna one or other similar ones.

Why aren't you just building yourself a barrel or skippy tub filter if you are looking at that product? You'd be way better off, IMHO. It sure as heck would be easier to maintain/clean. And you could do it really cheaply too. You've got the doc's ideas here for a barrel filter or just search for SKIPPY FILTER on the internet and you'll find the skippy site or hundreds of others detailing how to ake them. Super duper easy. AND CHEAP TOO!

Can't comment on that pump, as I don't know it at all. I only feel good about providing an opinion on something I've used or know someone well who has had a good/bad experience with something.

Perhaps someone else on the board knows that pump?

BBK

Reaction score
This is the amount of space I have to work with. I would do a DIY filter but I don't think I have any place to put it without it sticking out and looking ugly.
100_0138.jpg

Reaction score
I see your issue. I have a similar situation where my pond is all out in an open area and I've got no place to hide things. Which is why I bought the laguna filter because it could be buried.

It's looks like a small pond. Where were you planning on putting that filter you saw on ebay? in the water? or in the corner? I would not recommend putting it in the water, because A) it will take up too much water room and :bowdown: they are heavy to try to fish out of the water to service.

I'm assuming the property behind the fence is not yours? In other words, you could not put a filter behind the fence and then snake the hosing in through one of the slats in the fence?

Also, how much space is between the back of the pond and that back fence in that left corner? It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo if there's any room there for a filter.

Here's an idea from you that will not look ugly and incorporates a flower pot hidden as a skippy filter, which might be a good alternative for you and you'd be able to disguise it.
Click here and here and here for a few ideas.

I see you've already got a flower pot in the front there, so maybe you might be able to incorporate another one. I've seen some folks hide filters behind a pile of stone, and then have the water trickle over the rock into the pond like a waterfall.

With my barrel filter that i'm building, I am burying it, because I have no place to hide it either. I already dug the hole last weekend, and just have to do the plumbing for it and place my new sequence pump in their with it and a sump pump just in case it rains like crazy.

How many gallons is your pond, by the way? It looks small in the photo, but I bet there's lots of creative little things you can do in that space to maximize on filtration and keep some happy fish and keep things looking pretty. I always love to see what folks can do in difficult spots such as yours.

BBK

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
I see your issue. I have a similar situation where my pond is all out in an open area and I've got no place to hide things. Which is why I bought the laguna filter because it could be buried.

It's looks like a small pond. Where were you planning on putting that filter you saw on ebay? in the water? or in the corner? I would not recommend putting it in the water, because A) it will take up too much water room and B) they are heavy to try to fish out of the water to service.I was planning on putting it next to the UV under that plant pot.

I'm assuming the property behind the fence is not yours? In other words, you could not put a filter behind the fence and then snake the hosing in through one of the slats in the fence?No, its not my property. I could put one there (my neighbors driveway) But I know for a fact some kid would pull the hose off or mess with it somehow.

Also, how much space is between the back of the pond and that back fence in that left corner? It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo if there's any room there for a filter.10" on the left, 8 on the right

Here's an idea from you that will not look ugly and incorporates a flower pot hidden as a skippy filter, which might be a good alternative for you and you'd be able to disguise it.
Click here and here and here for a few ideas.

I see you've already got a flower pot in the front there, so maybe you might be able to incorporate another one. I've seen some folks hide filters behind a pile of stone, and then have the water trickle over the rock into the pond like a waterfall.

With my barrel filter that i'm building, I am burying it, because I have no place to hide it either. I already dug the hole last weekend, and just have to do the plumbing for it and place my new sequence pump in their with it and a sump pump just in case it rains like crazy.

How many gallons is your pond, by the way? It looks small in the photo, but I bet there's lots of creative little things you can do in that space to maximize on filtration and keep some happy fish and keep things looking pretty. I always love to see what folks can do in difficult spots such as yours. I really don't know. Its exactly 7X3 and 3ft deep in the deepest part. It goes up two shelves on the far side. I've been using a DIY filter that I made by putting a pump in a milk crate and surrounding it with filter fiber but that is a pain in the bum to clean and it really is not that efficient.

Reaction score
well if kids can get at it, that is certainly not good! If you were gonna put that ebay filter in that corner, then you can build the flower pot skippy filter instead and put it in the same spot. you'll be way better off than that ebay filter, trust me. And you'll be able to waterfall it into the pond, which will give you more oxygen, too.

You are right, the filtration you currently have as you mention is not sufficient. I'm not sure if you end up throwing away all the batting, but there goes your good bacteria with it if that's the case. Sounds like you definitely need an upgrade, but I do understand you are trying to do it on a budget. We're all battling keeping costs down these days.

I wish you luck!

BBK

Reaction score
My bacteria lives in the DIY waterfall weir on the far side, its full of scrubbie pads. I had the weir out in that picture.

BBK

Reaction score
If I make the plant pot one, will it have enough out-flow power to go through a UV and underground to the other side of the pond? I'm thinking it won't have enough pressure and will over-flow.

BBK

Reaction score
Just had an idea. What if I made one out of a 5g bucket? I could attach the inlet at the bottom of the bucket and the exit at the top that would go to my UV. I could attach a lid with some tape around it to give it a good waterproof seal. Does that sound like it would work?

Reaction score
yes, you could certainly make one out of a 5g bucket as well. I was just trying to think of something attractive like flower pot, since you were worried about what it looked like.

But here is the concept you describe with a 5g bucket. The only thing I would include with the one that is linked is some kind of bio balls for bacteria. There are great photos here on how to plumb it. It's just one example, you can google 5 gallon bucket pond filter and you'll get many more ideas.

You can spray paint the bucket with any outdoor paint made for plastic if you want to subdue the color a bit, and maybe pile up stones/rocks or pavers around it to disguise it.

But now it's starting to sound a little more like that ebay filter...LOL!

Ask a Question