What filtration system can I use for my pond??

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm only a newbie in this hobby, I started keeping some comet goldfish not too long ago. I was wondering what filtration I can install to my small fish pond. It's only around 35-40 gallon and I don't have any nearby outlet. Is there a way I can have a filter without using electricity?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

For a container that small, I personally wouldn’t recommend goldfish at all, especially if you don’t have power for a filter/pump. For those keeping goldfish in an aquarium, 40 gallons is pushing the limit — and that‘s with filtration and a single GF (speaking from experience). Depending on your climate, maybe consider guppies, Rosie reds (minnows), or mosquito fish (they will add “fertilizer” for the plants, but will also help keep the mosquito population under control — still water is a haven for mosquitos. Plants are your friend when it comes to filtering your water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1630169472822.gif
@NewbieFishHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

For a container that small, I personally wouldn’t recommend goldfish at all, especially if you don’t have power for a filter/pump. For those keeping goldfish in an aquarium, 40 gallons is pushing the limit — and that‘s with filtration and a single GF (speaking from experience). Depending on your climate, maybe consider guppies, Rosie reds (minnows), or mosquito fish (they will add “fertilizer” for the plants, but will also help keep the mosquito population under control — still water is a haven for mosquitos. Plants are your friend when it comes to filtering your water.
Hi! Thank you so much for your advice. I do have a few plants in my small garden pond, I was just unsure if that was not enough to serve as filtration. I was thinking of getting a solar pump/filter for my pond, just wondering would that still be not enough? I will keep your advice in mind and maybe find some guppies to replace my goldfish. I will have to though find a bigger home for goldfish.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
You can always run an extension cord to it, but make SURE circuit is grounded (3 prong plug or similar depending on country) and ideally being run off a gfci outlet. 40 gallons can probably use a typical aquarium filtering system, like the ones that sit at the top of a tank with the wheel; fabricate a dowel rod to rest over a corner and attach to that, etc.. Or diy with your own set up. Plenty of diy videos online (search for "diy pond filter" and look for guys running a smaller set up) of small trash can set ups that'd be more than enough to filter out and add oxygen via surface water movement. Dunno if it'd be cheaper than an aquarium filter though at that size of your set up. If filtered, just keep the 3 gold fish. If they get too big, rehome them. One thing I'm finding out with minnows (got a few dozen bait shop fat head minnows for my pond about a month ago) is they spawn like crazy in warm enough waters. Of the 30 or so I got, maybe 5-10 survived the abrupt change from living in a sink their entire lives to a large pond. Of those 5-10, I have hundreds and hundreds of fry now. Some, apparently were "born" within the first week of the parent's arrival, going off their size now. Others are apparently still being created as I have fresh batches of newly "created" minnow fry almost every other day, so temps and conditions must be ideal for them right now. No idea how many will eventually populate my 15k+ gallon pond, but there is a lot. So dunno how others are managing to keep their numbers in check?

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
You can always run an extension cord to it, but make SURE circuit is grounded (3 prong plug or similar depending on country) and ideally being run off a gfci outlet. 40 gallons can probably use a typical aquarium filtering system, like the ones that sit at the top of a tank with the wheel; fabricate a dowel rod to rest over a corner and attach to that, etc.. Or diy with your own set up. Plenty of diy videos online (search for "diy pond filter" and look for guys running a smaller set up) of small trash can set ups that'd be more than enough to filter out and add oxygen via surface water movement. Dunno if it'd be cheaper than an aquarium filter though at that size of your set up. If filtered, just keep the 3 gold fish. If they get too big, rehome them. One thing I'm finding out with minnows (got a few dozen bait shop fat head minnows for my pond about a month ago) is they spawn like crazy in warm enough waters. Of the 30 or so I got, maybe 5-10 survived the abrupt change from living in a sink their entire lives to a large pond. Of those 5-10, I have hundreds and hundreds of fry now. Some, apparently were "born" within the first week of the parent's arrival, going off their size now. Others are apparently still being created as I have fresh batches of newly "created" minnow fry almost every other day, so temps and conditions must be ideal for them right now. No idea how many will eventually populate my 15k+ gallon pond, but there is a lot. So dunno how others are managing to keep their numbers in check?
We have a bio filter with UV light and a separate air stone & used an extension cord which we ran underground in a PVC pipe to our GFCI outlet. It's working great! Our pond in roughly 40-50gallon. We have rosy red minnows but the racoons keep coming and eating them :"(. We've installed a motion detector sprinkler that I think is helping some but it's hard to tell as the coons don't come every night and there are only a few minnows left and now they hide all the time (can't blame them). I think i might have seen a tiny fry a few days ago and before the coons we had a rosy "guarding his cave" so maybe we'll get lucky and find we had some babies. I do wish we had a great way to keep the coons away but a net is not an option with our set up so I'm still trying to find a better solution.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm only a newbie in this hobby, I started keeping some comet goldfish not too long ago. I was wondering what filtration I can install to my small fish pond. It's only around 35-40 gallon and I don't have any nearby outlet. Is there a way I can have a filter without using electricity?
Do you have a pump?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Australia
For a small pond you can just get a 12 volt pump, then you don't have to worry about dangerous power outside.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I still have 2 small ponds without a pump or filters. 3 goldfish in one and 5 blue shubunkins in the other. Water parameters all good. When they have babies I catch the bigger ones and put them in one of the larger ponds. Neither get more than 5 hours of sun, have plants and water is crystal clear. Just don't over feed and spoil the water, it's amazing how many bugs land in the water. One of the ponds is by the pool to trap mozzies. Another pond has a solar pump to a waterfall, no filter, which runs 15 minutes per hour. day and night, also has shubys and they breed constantly so all good, just not too much sun is key.

Ask a Question