What fish can love in coldwated?

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hello everyone. I have an outdoor pond at the moment and I am going to build a bigger one. Unfortunately here in Greece we have cold weather 1 degree Celsius so I'm not sure what fish to put un except goldfish and koi. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF! 1 degree C isn't really all that cold, but too cold for much other than the fish you mentioned. There's a reason koi and goldfish are the preferred pond fish, and hardiness is one of them.

How big is your pond going to be?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Could do orfes in there or if the pond is big enough, a sterlet, or some native fish. Although native fish aren’t the best at being viewed from the top down.

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hello and welcome! How big will your pond be?
I have the option to use an old water tank that is 2x2m and 2m deep but I think it's too big and I think I'm gonna make a pond using a pond liner. I'm going to make a solar powered filter

Reaction score
Country
Greece
I'm also interested in predator fish but I don't think they need worm water. I also can't use a thermostat because my house is solar powered and in winter our system can't support it

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Welcome to the GPF! 1 degree C isn't really all that cold, but too cold for much other than the fish you mentioned. There's a reason koi and goldfish are the preferred pond fish, and hardiness is one of them.

How big is your pond going to be?
Sometimes it's a but colder like -3 at but I never had problems with water freezing and I don't even have a filter

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Keep the size of the pond in mind as well as what temperature to consider. Some fish can tolerate and thrive in close quarters…..but some, not so much. I would be wary of “ predator fish.” We can help you figure this all out — I think we all prefer liner ponds to large container ponds.

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Keep the size of the pond in mind as well as what temperature to consider. Some fish can tolerate and thrive in close quarters…..but some, not so much. I would be wary of “ predator fish.” We can help you figure this all out — I think we all prefer liner ponds to large container ponds.
What size is recommended? I have a lot of space so I can make it as big as I want. I can only use solar powered system

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We always say, go as big as you can.

The size is limited only by your imagination, budget, and space. There is a process involved, though, and I would first decide on the type of fish you want to keep, and go from there. Larger fish will need more space than smaller ones. A solar powered pump/filter is going to limit you, as they don’t provide as much power.

Reaction score
Country
Greece
We always say, go as big as you can.

The size is limited only by your imagination, budget, and space. There is a process involved, though, and I would first decide on the type of fish you want to keep, and go from there. Larger fish will need more space than smaller ones. A solar powered pump/filter is going to limit you, as they don’t provide as much power.
It's better than no pump at all. I prefer predator fish like Oscar and largemouth bass but would they survive here?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1655053959132.gif
@Iasonas

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's better than no pump at all. I prefer predator fish like Oscar and largemouth bass but would they survive here?
I would recommend that you
  1. do a Google search for any fish you are considering and learn about the particular environment and requirements they need, then compare to see if they would do well where you are
  2. look for some Internet groups that are specific to the fish you choose and get into some discussions with the people who are more knowledgeable about keeping these particular fish
  3. look for fish-related groups where you live and see what they recommend
  4. look for fish that are legal to be kept where you live, and maybe look for native species
  5. learn about the nitrogen cycle — first step
It’s not that we can’t help you, but most on here primarily keep koi and goldfish in our outdoor ponds, so our experiences are limited — especially considering your location and any specific environmental concerns that may differ.

Reaction score
Country
Greece
I would recommend that you
  1. do a Google search for any fish you are considering and learn about the particular environment and requirements they need, then compare to see if they would do well where you are
  2. look for some Internet groups that are specific to the fish you choose and get into some discussions with the people who are more knowledgeable about keeping these particular fish
  3. look for fish-related groups where you live and see what they recommend
  4. look for fish that are legal to be kept where you live, and maybe look for native species
  5. learn about the nitrogen cycle — first step
It’s not that we can’t help you, but most on here primarily keep koi and goldfish in our outdoor ponds, so our experiences are limited — especially considering your location and any specific environmental concerns that may differ.
Thank you for letting me know. I think koi fish is what I'm gonna do

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Koi are picky about water quality and produce a huge amount of waste. Not sure how that wi work with a total solar system. I have generators to run my ponds when we lose power.

Ask a Question