What fish can you really put in a pond?

Reaction score
Hi, I live in southern California in Los angeles.
I have a 200 lbs pond and this is what I have so far in the pond.
20 comets, mosquito fishes, guppies, 1 african clawed frog, some apple snails.
Water lettuce, Water hyacinth, water lilies covering about 70% of the water surface.

I have added 3 gouramis fishes, I was told that they are not pond fishes because they do not tolerate cold weather ( I live in california so it's hot most of the time).but they've been doing good so far. Should I remove them? They've been there for about 1 month so far.
What other fish can I add beside KOI fishes?
Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Whoa your overstocked with fish already. Don't add anymore, they maybe fine now when small but they do grow and you will have problems. I'd suggest getting rid of atleast half the fish you have now, if not 3/4 of them.

Reaction score
Yeah I would not suggest adding any more fish to your garden pond. It is overstocked now as it is. Sonner or later if you haven't had any already your fish will get diseases and get sick. Fish diseases often occur due to too many fish in a pond.

What I would do is think about building yourself a bigger pond if your able too. Once you have a bigger pond that can accomodate more fish then I would add some more. I know adding more and more fish to a pond can be addicting but that is where most people go wrong when getting into the hobby for the first time.

I hope you have an excellent filtration system to counteract the fish waste being produced.

Reaction score
It's really all about filtration if you have a pump that can cycle 3-4 times the amount of your pond's water then you're fine. Getting back to your fish question you could have Bluegills or small sunfish. I've even heard about catfish being good candidates for ponds.

For my 300 gal I have like 35 comets in there average is 4" and 2 butterfly KOI 10" & 8". * All of my fish in this pond grew at least an inch since I got them which was about 1 year ago.

Reaction score
for Filtration? 80% of plant . Water hyacinth, water lettuce, water lilies, dwarf lilies, anacharis.
Water pump i think pumps 200 gallons/ hour.

I have some string algae recently , my gouramis are doing fine . THe water temp never goes below 60 degrees. So far so good..My african clawed frog.is gone..do they actually get out of the water ? It's not a dwarf frog..

Ask a Question