What fish should I get?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Since something had a very expensive meal on our very large koi, we have to start from scratch.

I am not buying any more than two koi. If they get eaten, two fish is not a huge loss. We'll be getting smaller koi. I am not paying big bucks for the large koi.

I really like the Shubunkins. I think they will be the majority of the fish. Also, two cat fish. I want to just fill in the thing and be done with ponding, but husband wants it.
He says it relieves stress to listen to the water. The pond is the source of my stress, but oh well.

Fish suggestions?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Well I am nowhere near an expert on koi and I am sure most everyone on here knows more than I do when it comes to Koi but I am actually kinda fond of my 4 dollar koi and 88 cent goldfish who were about 2 inches when I bought them and are now about 8 inches and still healthy and active.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If you got predators, you cant go wrong with a $2 coin fry from Petco.

If you wanna spend a decent $20, that can give you some good quality 1 year olds from online.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i would say you should install some protection for fish 1st eg net , or it will eat again sooner or later .. you can try minows too , they are hard to catch for predators

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
My suggestion is ....a net.

Find it sad to sacrifice fish to predators, whatever their size or breed. Most predators once they have discovered a food source, especially an easy one, will return sooner or later. Couldn't you buy a net to protect your charges, however expensive/inexpensive the fish are? After all, the fish are living creatures in your sole care and you alone are responsible for them. Such a shame when it could have been easily prevented. Just saying :-/

@Eric, yes, I too have all of those those, with an additional fleet of blue and golden orfe and a couple of Ghost Koi.....all safely netted from the local heron population ;-)

Ask a Question