What food are you feeding your fish?

Reaction score
Over the last year or so i changed my fish food to a better quality food and can see the results fish look better and healthier :happy:
As im running out of food i need to buy some more, even though im very happy with the food ive been using there are so many different choices on the market from high protein foods to health & vitality mixes some have added vitamins also prebiotics & probiotics???
I have been feeding during the summer Quenti Koi foods mixing Japan mix with wheatgerm & garlic also feeding ultimate koi food (higher protein) on hotter days. Also dried shrimps, mealworms & bread, as treats.Then wheatgerm & garlic in the colder months.
What food does everyone else use ?? I realise that the fish keepers across the big pond !!! will get different foods than we have in England

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
This summer Willo we are using the food NTLabs Medikoi Probiotic Premium Multi-Seasonal , and we are extremely happy with the marked increase in coloration weve seen in the Month of July since weve been feeding it too them :happy:.

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is the main reason I add koi clay so that there color intensifies .It sticks to the blackwater food and i like the fact that the food has no fillers and it includes plant matter and krill and garlic and does not cost a lot of money .I got 5 lbs for less than 10 dollars on sale with free shipping and no taxes

Reaction score
That is the main reason I add koi clay so that there color intensifies .It sticks to the blackwater food and i like the fact that the food has no fillers and it includes plant matter and krill and garlic and does not cost a lot of money .I got 5 lbs for less than 10 dollars on sale with free shipping and no taxes

Ive added clay to the water but not tried adding it to fish food, i'll give it a go

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have no problem making it stick to it with out adding any thing ,the clay is so fine it makes the food look grey instead of brown .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
My fish love the Tetra Koi Vibrance and the Tetra fall/spring mix. I tried the Blackwater Creek fall/spring food as recommended by many people on this forum and it seemed like they hated it. I have a huge bag of the Blackwater left and have no idea what to do with it now...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are getting some kenzen koi food that was given to me, they love it.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Bringing up an older thread; I have been feeding Zeigler Koi Grower to Goldfish. It has taken about 2 years to go through 20 oz. and it's nearly time to buy more. I have cut down significantly the amount I feed and frequency; I am down to about 3 feedings a week and hardly feed at all in the winter, they may eat a pellet or 2 but if I give them more even on warmer days it just sits there. Anyway, I am curious what others are feeding, no right or wrong answers. I am thinking about changing but at same time they've eaten this for 5 years and still enjoy it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am now using a combo of azoo and blackwater and both have healthy ingredients in them

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am now using a combo of azoo and blackwater and both have healthy ingredients in them
Thanks! A pound would last me a year and which blackwater are you using? I saw you were using Blueridge at one time, is there a reason you switched?

I kind of feel like the subject of fish food is a "can of worms" ;-) . I'm guessing as long as I am only feeding 3 times a week it's okay to use the growth high protein stuff? Most of the balanced food seems to be the larger pellets. I might just buy the Ziegler again but not sure hydrolyzed poultry feathers are a natural part of a fishes diet other than maybe jaws.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
At the moment feeding some kind of floating pond sticks, can't remember what kind as I emptied it into a bucket with a sealable lid. Also, have some sort of small sinking pellet, as well. Fish also get repotmin turtle sticks, which they fight the turtles for. Had a bag of Blackwater food, but the dog ate it.

No set schedule for fish feeding sometimes a few days a week, sometimes not at all. Turtles a different story they get their floating repotmin sticks, fresh mussels, minnows and crabs from the local river a few times a week.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just compared ingredients and decided the change was needed to give them more healthy food .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I just added 3 butterfly koi this summer to a pond that housed gold fish only and the gold fish ate what the pond offered. I purchased Blackwater premium and Dr Foster and Smiths growth and color . The Dr F/S products ingredients are similiar to blackwater so I went with the cheaper one. The fish are devouring the food and I have noticed growth in a short period of time.

Does anyone know if the expiration dates are realistic or are they a way for the manufacturers to get you to buy more food the following season ?

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
After considerable research I have decided to try Omega One medium floating Cichlid pellets.

First is the wholesome ingredient list, which is exactly the same as their goldfish sinking pellets. The only difference is the cichlid formula is 35% protein/10% fat and the goldfish is 33%/8%. Since my little tiny pond is over stuffed with filters on the bottom and because it give me joy to watch them eat I want to continue to use a floating pellet. When I move them to the new pond I may try thethe goldfish formula which is only available in the sinking pellets.

Secondly, because I feed only a few times a week, what they can eat in 1 or 2 minutes, I want what I do feed to be nutrient dense, I don't see the need for a higher grain content than protein as they get plenty of non-protein food foraging in the pond. I may start giving them a supplement of veggies, maybe I will start with lettuce and see how they do as I learn of other veggies that are good to feed them. As it is, it already takes me more than a year to go through a pound of food, so it doesn't make sense to buy a quantity that I am concerned has x amount of nutritional value lost over time.

Ask a Question