What glue to use?

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to stick the epdm liner to a preformed liner that is acting as my waterfall weir to build my stream and connect to the bigger preformed liner pond.
What glue can I use to stick the liner to the preformed shell ?

thanks,
xman

Reaction score
DrDave,

Is it called Urethane glue? or Urethane caulk? I could not find it in my local HomeDepot, the only thing they had was a gallon bucket of Urethane adhesive used for bathroom tiles.

thanks,
xman

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It is a glue but also comes in caulking tubes. They use it in high rise building to hold the windows in place.

Reaction score
I went to Home Depot and all I could find was 3M Marine Adhesive. Could someone please post the manufacturer and name. I have a sheet of new EPDN that I want to glue to an older piece. Thanks.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
They also use urethane in 100 story sky scrapers to keep the windows in.
That would be my first choice short of going to a roofer and getting the "Firestone" glue made for it.
EPDM is a trade name of Firestone.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
daddio42 said:
I went to Home Depot and all I could find was 3M Marine Adhesive. Could someone please post the manufacturer and name. I have a sheet of new EPDN that I want to glue to an older piece. Thanks.

EPDM to EPDM... SILICONE ADHESIVE WILL WORK

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I realize we are talking about liner to liner, but I thought I would throw this in since we are talking about adhesives and EPDM. Silicone may work fine for a lap joint with no stress.

When I integrated my EPDM liner to an existing rock waterfall, I had to bond the Liner to the rock face to avoid a leak. My concern was getting a long term bond on something that was verticle, exposed to the sun, running water at 5800 GPM (old sump pump) and would pass a pull test. I knew the liner would be pulling on this long term.

I took some sample EPDM pieces, some rock, then bonded them and left to cure for 24 hours.

When I did the destructive pull test:
Silcone pulled away from the EPDM and remained bonded to the porous rock.
Urethane held with great force and when it did break it actually took part of the shale rock surface with it.

That said, I would use the urethane first having done that test, especially if you have any water features to bond to.

You might have good luck with either.

Reaction score
Thanks Folks,
I took addy1's recommendaton and bought NP-1 Ployurethane Adhesive online through Home Depot (Not available in NJ Stores). http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...yword=urethane

I did a test case with 2 strips on EPDM. After a 24 hour cure, the 2 strips were impossible to pull apart. Make sure you roll the 2 strips together with a makeshift rolling pin to create a uniform bond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used that for a few things I am doing with the pond, once dry it is stuck!

Reaction score
Thanks Folks,
I took addy1's recommendaton and bought NP-1 Ployurethane Adhesive online through Home Depot (Not available in NJ Stores). http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...yword=urethane

I did a test case with 2 strips on EPDM. After a 24 hour cure, the 2 strips were impossible to pull apart. Make sure you roll the 2 strips together with a makeshift rolling pin to create a uniform bond.
Did you notice the specs for NP-1 specify a 21 day cure time for underwater duty. I did not, ordered some, and now have significant trepidations about your recommendation of this product. I cannot wait 21 days for it to cure. How did the two strips you glued together perform under water? That seems to be the significant issue here, not whether or not you could pull them apart.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Great question -- I've been wondering about this sort of thing as well. I've read about marine grade adhesive, but sounds like urethane is better? My big question has to do with setting rocks in place. Can I piggyback on your question? I've heard of "waterfall foam" that comes in big caulking type tubes. What is this? Is cement / concrete mortar safe for a pond that will have fish? Many questions about glues and mortars. (If asking this here is a no-no, just tell me and I'll start a new thread.) Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Waterfall foam is like the expanding insulation foam, it sticks rocks together, nicely, but is not water tight, great for directing water.
I use pl roofing
1880fe44-26ed-4561-998a-eb18e143d0b6_300.jpg
from homedepot to make water tight paths. I have also used it in the pond, a few places it has been under water for 3 years now and doing fine. It needs to be used on dry items and given at least a day to harden up.

Ask a Question