what grows faster koi or goldfish?

Reaction score
What grows faster in your experience? Of course assuming that the fish are both at perfect health and shape and that the fish are cared for perfectly?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Koi grow at a quite faster rate than Goldfish. Easily doubling if not triple in the first year alone.

Reaction score
wow really?, thats cool then, do koi really get stunted in growth? im asking because if i end up getting some from a petstore im worried that they may not be able to grow large because i heard that they do the most growing in the first year and who knows how long those ones were in their and what kind of care they got before i seen them, is it possible to un-stunt a fish?
thanks

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Most fish in a pet store will not be stunted in growth, they are held in huge storage vats when at the wholesellers. Once they get to the petstore they are rarely there long enough to really stunt the growth. As for Koi, they are going to grow no matter what, even if there is some stunting they are still going to get very big. koi do grow a lot in the first year, they can go from fry to 6-8" in the first year.(in optimal conditions) In the pet stores they may not grow that fast, they don't get fed like they should and limited space will reflect a slower growth rate, however this does not mean they are stunted, it simply means they are growing bigger slower. It's when A fish gets to a certain size and has NO room to grow that stunting starts really taking place. Example, keeping a 10" koi in a 10 gallon tank for years. If it's only allowed to reach that size and not given any new room to grow is where stunt issues come in, They can still grow if given a new tank or pond to grow in but by that point they may not grow to their full potential. Keep in mind though that Koi can get to 36" even possibilities in some to reach 42" That's a huge fish that needs lots of swimming room, and very good water quality. 1 fish that size in a 1000 gallon pond is about the same as a 10" fish in a 10 gallon tank, Water quality must be kept up with! They poop ALOT!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
koi....in their first year of life they actually can easily go from a 1/16" to 4" - 6" i have close some in the 6" range and are 2&1/2 months shy of a year. 3" is doing " good" for a goldfish

Reaction score
My goldfish are a year old and range from 3 to 6 inches. But goldfish often reach half their mature size in their second year. Koi grow for a very long time.

Here is a picture of 3 month old wakins from Raingarden. They are from the same spawn and grew in the same pond. They range from 1 to 5 inches. Those big ones may well be 8 inches or more at a year.

Reaction score
Wow those goldfish are very different in size I'm actually very surprised to see such a difference in fish of the same age and same spawn I guess it just like people in a family some grow tall and some don't grow as tall and also from the looks of it I would say that large one in the top left corner could be a foot

Reaction score
I had a fry once that was a ranchu pearlscale mix that I had for a year that never grew bigger than 1/2 inch. Very weird, forever looked like a fry. My cat ate it, really liked that tiny weird mutant.

Reaction score
I had about 5 fry and one weekend I went away and left my husband in charge of their care. All died but the little mutant. The others were much nicer looking, he had a messed up tail too but he was tough and friendly. I'm not good at culling and also root for the underdog;)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
last year i released about 25 or 30 into the big pond at 3&1/2 weeks old the only one that got eaten was a little runt with a slightly deformed tail...had cool coloration tho. there was already some of the same size swimming with the big guys that were born in the pond not the nursery.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, reading these post reminds me of a koi I have I refer to as The Nurse, If I had to guess I would actually bet it's a male but who really knows till you see them breed. I do call it a her or she from time to time, It is a two year old butterfly Koi, snow white with some small sumi markings. It lives in the hospital tank as it's never really grown and is very shy. Two years old and barely 7" long. Very slim, long long fins, and the bigger koi have nipped it on a few occasions when it was with the bigger heard. I moved it into the hospital tank and that's where it's lived since. The one thing I like about her is she seems to be a calming koi like the Chagoi when new fish get introduced. She is the one koi I have had to treat with medication directly on two seperate occasions.
Moral of the story, Koi also have ther runts too. Funny how the runts and mis-fits always seem to get extra attention.

Reaction score
WOW your cat must have enjoyed it very much and that is small I think you might have put them in too small a tank and and fed them not often enough also water quality is a factor

Ask a Question