what guest's kids do with your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Today few kids came as guest in our house well they do every time same , i was not there , they threw all the small stones they can find in the pond lol i think they were targeting fishes , well when i came later i saw all fishes were hiding , i said its good that they know when to hide but what happened next is another guests came and they came to see pond which seemed to be empty was funny i tried to convince them fishes are hiding .. they are still scared been all day , i just see them passing by quickly from one hiding place to another , they must b thinking it was predator .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
How old are the kids? If they are little, they probably need a lesson on how to appreciate nature. If they are older, they need to be told that is unacceptable and to stop.
If they just don't know any better, that's one thing. If they are older and just being jerks, that's another.
:mad:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
around 2 year and other 7 , smaller one is worst , his parents tell him but not that strict as need to be , i would say some kids have hyper personality as well and dont listen little devils lol but more blame is on parents , they can train kids from love or punishments , some kids are mild as person and they love nature and well behaved by birth too . i have niece she never broke anything in our house nor destroyed on purpose, beside that boys are more destructive .

thnx @peter hillman good to read im not alone :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I don't know that boys are really more destructive. I think it's the attitude of the parents and what they let the kids get away with. I have boys and have never allowed them to be little turds. But I know people -- including relatives -- who watch their young boys do mean or destructive things and shrug and say "boys will be boys." Drives me nuts!!!! Teach them to be respectful and kind! When people let things slide like that, the kids just grow up to be jerks. For sure, some are more "physical" and rambunctious than others. Some are naturally gentle. But I HATE it when people don't even try to correct hateful behavior.
I saw a 4 or 5 year old throwing rocks at ducks at our local park pond one time. I was ASTOUNDED that no one said anything to him. I noticed a snapping turtle on the bank and thought -- nature might handle this lesson here and now. BUT -- it wasn't the kid's fault that no one was parenting him. Rather than seeing him lose a finger, I said something loud and obnoxious. Finally someone noticed and pulled him away.
Grrrrrrrrr.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
My neighbors kids use to sneak over to my house and throw things in my pond. One day I caught the 3 year old with a stick, trying to poke my fish. My pond is in ground, I dug it myself, and is 4 ft. Deep on one end . Not big around. But goes to shallower of 2 ft. Then 1 ft. I promptly took him by the hand and back home,telling his parents that it was very dangerous for him to be there alone. That if he wanted to see the fish, he would always be accompanied by an adult! I ended up putting pound in poles and green fencing around my pond out of fear he would come back again alone and fall in. It's a bit unsightly, but safer. If something bad happened, I coul never live with myself. I just wish parents would teach their kids manners and safety.and watch them a little better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My neighbors kids use to sneak over to my house and throw things in my pond. One day I caught the 3 year old with a stick, trying to poke my fish. My pond is in ground, I dug it myself, and is 4 ft. Deep on one end . Not big around. But goes to shallower of 2 ft. Then 1 ft. I promptly took him by the hand and back home,telling his parents that it was very dangerous for him to be there alone. That if he wanted to see the fish, he would always be accompanied by an adult! I ended up putting pound in poles and green fencing around my pond out of fear he would come back again alone and fall in. It's a bit unsightly, but safer. If something bad happened, I coul never live with myself. I just wish parents would teach their kids manners and safety.and watch them a little better.
And what is a 3 year old doing out alone? Wow!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And what is a 3 year old doing out alone? Wow!

Boy, that's scary! A three year old on his own can get into all kinds of trouble.

We have two little girls who live behind us who love to peer over the fence at our pond. The other day they had some little boys visiting who decided it would be fun to throw rocks over the fence and try to hit the water. I caught the first one with his arm cocked back ready to let it fly. We had a nice conversation about other people's property and what a rock could do if it hit a fish... I think they were reformed! Kids are mainly curious - it's how they learn. But they do need to be taught boundaries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It all comes down to teaching them when they are little. I have a deep love of the natural world and I know I learned that when I was very small.
It drives me NUTS when people just let kids go wild. They need to be taught. They are like little creative sponges and love to learn. Sure, some are more physical and active, but direct that energy into creation and work. Teaching and disciplining doesn't have to be screaming and smacking. Especially when they are little, they can be taught to be gentle with nature and to be helpers.
My neighbor brought her 2 year old over. She is a little girl who loves to be dirty and tries to chew on sticks. (She is hilarious. A real rough-and-tumble little gal!) Of course she did the pick-up-a-rock, look at it, and attempt to throw in the water. It's a satisfying cause and effect kind of thing. Her mom helped her see the fish and put her toe in the water. At two, she's like a little animal (I say that lovingly. Two year olds have a LOT of learning to do.) but her Mom was wonderful, helping her appreciate the pond without throwing rocks at the fish.
Lisak1 -- yes -- boundaries!!!!!

Ask a Question