What happened with my lilies and hyacinth?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So last year, I purchased a water lily, chromatella, and it did great in my pond and produced many blooms. Winter came, and because my pond is shallow, my lily couldn't stay in it, so I took it out and wrapped the rhizome in moist sphagnum moss and stuck it in my fridge. I didn't leave it in my garage or basement as my house is well insulated and warm, even the garage is heated. This spring, I took it out and planted it. It had a slight bit of mold on it, but it was not mushy at all. I also bought a james brydon and some water hyacinth from the same dealer this year. The liles were planted in april, and the hyacinths in june. The lilies only produced 3 leaves each before just not growing, and saw they had no roots. The hyacinths also withered away, which they have never done before in my pond. I planted all my lilies in clay and fertilize them regularily and give them lots when I do. The only difference this year is I have more marginal plants then normal, as I planted lots of arrowhead and have sizeable bog bean. I also fertilize the water column once a week and this year's growing season started early in march, and it has been hot, sunny, and dry. I'm in zone 3. So, any ideas what could have gone wrong this year? Sorry for the long post, but I think detail is good in this case?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your detail is wonderful, I don't have a clue about your plants. I have never saved a lily in a fridge. I have tried hyacinths, they don't like my pond, it almost sounds like there was not enough food for the plants, but you are fertilizing them.
You made sure the growing tip of the lily was above the clay? if it is buried that can cause the lilies to die.

And welcome to our group!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When my pond's pH was 7 and 7.5 my water hyacinths did great. Now that my pond's pH is 8.4, my water hyacinths get yellow and do not multiply. Do you know the pH of your pond? I have read that water hyacinths like a pH of 7.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine do great the pond ph is always close to 9 and the lily pond is 8 and I fertilize the lily pond A month ago and now and I gave some away to thin them out .
101_1291.JPG
100_7149.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Wow thanks guys for the quick responses, I like it! I have not checked the pH of the pond in a long time. Water straight out of the tap has a pH of about 7.4 to 7.8, so its naturally a little bit basic. I placed the tips of the lily growing tips quite a ways out of the dirt, as I did that last year with the chromatella and it did wonderful, plus I figured it would make root growth easier. I'm wondering if maybe I cut too much root off for winter's rest. Is that possible? Aswell, goldfish are present, but my pond has much fewer fish this year than it normally does. I've just been using Microbe-lift Bloom n' Grow to add more nutrients.The pond temp is typically 18-20 degrees Celsius both night and day, but can get as high as 22. Is it possible the lilies may come back next year, or are they spent if they did not grow? Is it possible the vendor had sick plants since my new james brydon did not grow well either?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When I divided my water lilies years ago, I must have split them too small because they didn't grow much. People on this forum suggested I plant them in kitty litter and fertilize more and they are doing much better. I am not sure about storing in the refrigerator. My pond is deep enough I leave them in the pond in the winter.

comparison 2015 2016 2017 June 20 water lily pads.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I leave my plants in and have no issues I have noticed them growing more and blooming more since i added a bigger filtration (active bog with plants) Milage varies by zones and other things.

I don't check ph etc as everything seems ok new frogs fish are active and responsive etc. I don't have expensive koi or any fish over $5 ish to start with

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If the flesh of the rhizomes have a deep purple tone and a real nasty smell, its crown rot

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The rhizomes from both lilies are both solid, but the chromatella stinks to high heaven. Earlier at the beginning of the growing season, I did cut my chromatella up into smaller sections as it had been growing almost vertically and I wasn't sure if all the growth points it had produced would be able to push through, so that might have been an issue. Also, when I was splitting it, only the outside of the rhizome seemed to stink, as the inside had a sort of pineapple smell. However, since both lilies struggle to grow, having produced a max of 3 leaves each before withering away, and they stink, and one is brand new this year, I'm gonna assume crown rot may have been an issue. Assuming it was, how do I go about dissinfecting things so if I do get another lily, it does not succumb to the same fate?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Empty the pond, burn everything. Rinse all surfaces with clorox. A fungus like that is, forever, otherwise

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Empty the pond, burn everything

This sounds like me when I'm ready to clean house! haha!

I'm curious - is the smell from the pot and the dirt, or from the actual plant? Because my pots all have a distinctive pond stink, which is normal. Also, are you saying you divided these right before winter?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh man can pond plant dirt stink! You could knock a horse out with that sulphury stench! That's what it smelt like too, rotten eggs. I'm not sure if it is the dirt or the lily, should I take it out, rinse it off, and smell it? I split the lily after winter before planting, the rhizome was and still is firm. When I brought the lily out, it had a slight film of what I think is grey mold, the usual type that grows in cool, moist places.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK - so you divided and then planted, they started growing and then rotted. I'd agree with getting rid of the whole lot of it - sounds like it has affected more than just your lilies. @adavisus is very knowledgable about plants - I would trust that advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
No, you don't find a bad smell at the bottom of a pond, usually, unless there is a lot of rotting stuff going in, like, uneaten fish food. Lots of plants rotting off....

A healthy pond usually has close to no scent among the roots of aquatic plants, just a hint of a seashore, pleasant

Ask a Question