What happens to spent lily blooms?

Reaction score
We have had a problem with neighbors pilfering things, but this is a first for us with a pond with fish and plants out front.....

The first bloom of the season just up and disapeared...I searched in the water for a sunken bloom, cut stalk, etc... nothing.

So, do the blooms just up and disapear out of sight (sink?) or should we be concerned that our visitor is back.

Here's the bloom as of 2 days ago......

Attachments

• lily.jpg
    lily.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 350

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
so if the bloom pollinated, should you leave it? I have had a lot like that but been cutting them off.

Kurt g, my lily flowers seem to last 2-3 days then they sink, I have not really timed them, just a best guess. There are always ones coming up to replace them. Sometimes hard to find, I start at the pot and work up looking for them.

Reaction score
I suspect it is still there underwater. I thought I saw a curled stem with a bud. I guess I was hoping it was a new one and tried not to disturb it.

Last year we had half our crop of late strawberries disapear to the neighbor's kids. This year, with no kids next door, we got an extra 10-15 lbs.......was worried the same pilfering may started with the lilies. Glad that is not the case.

We have another elderly neighbor that has been enjoying the pond and new garden out front and he seemed concerned too.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep I thought those curled stems with a bud was a new flower, but the new flowers are on nice straight stems pushing up.

lily learning curve lol

We are rural, no close neighbors, the only thing that might pilfer things here are critters, so far everything has been left alone.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I cut them off so they don't rot in the pond

Reaction score
I thought they would wilt or brown or something. Not just disapear all of a sudden..I did not see anything to cut at the time.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah they just sink and even look like a good bud while sinking lol

Ask a Question