What happens to the late-season tadpoles?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
During the regular season, the tadpoles have time to morph into little whatevers and hop/leap around the yard before the seasons change. But this year we had some late-season taddies [some frog, some toad, I think]. Then, one day, there were no more to be seen in the pond. Do they die or are they "hibernating" somewhere in the pond?

Now, I did transfer a bunch [mostly frog tadpoles] into the turtle-bog which is a somewhat more protective environment than the open pond. A few of those have already changed, but there are still some that are still taddies, or only partially changed. Some days I see those guys -- they are swimming around and very obvious. Yet some days there is no sign of them. For the ones in the turtle-bog, are they burrowing among the gravel?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Depends on the specie. The majority of frog tadpoles can handle temperatures down to 40F. Others have the ability to 'hibernate' over winter like the Bullfrog that takes 2 years to morph from a tadpole into adult form.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I can't wait to have amphibians in the yard again! We always had the most interesting salamanders -- black with metallic gold flecks. This drought year has been nice for the reptiles -- not so nice for the frogs and salamanders.
I'm guessing your tadpoles are ok somewhere. I've seen some really fascinating nature shows about how resilient they are!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Depends on the specie. The majority of frog tadpoles can handle temperatures down to 40F. Others have the ability to 'hibernate' over winter like the Bullfrog that takes 2 years to morph from a tadpole into adult form.
Hmmmm, guessing the frog-poles are either Bronze Frogs or Copes Gray tree frogs. Possibly S. Spotted Leopards (used to have some resident leopards, but haven't seen them in a while), or possibly green tree frogs, though those 1st 2 are the better bet. The toad-poles are probably Fowler's toads. No bullfrogs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I've had some store bought bull frog tadpoles that wintered over without problems, some of those guys were 6 inches long with two legs and a tail. I always figured that the frogs and toads wouldn't spawn if the tadpole didn't have enough time to develop or couldn’t over-winter in the ponds.

Ask a Question