What have you done as a Nursery for your baby Koi?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I will take some photos tomorrow of my newest addition and add it to this thread. In the meantime what have you done to create a nursery for your baby Koi?

Reaction score
I put a large cooler next to my pond with a air bubbler in it. I can close the lid during the day and this keeps the water cool. I also can drain it easily and replace the water once a week. I put a few large rocks and hyacinths in there for them to hide. Once they get about an inch long, I toss them into the main pond and let them fend for themselves. The ones I didn't net out of the pond hang out in my bog. Those suckers are fast!

Reaction score
I have done nothing. They are swimming around happily eating the algae off the sides and off my plants. Should I be doing something special? Ther are about 50 of the little buggers. I hope I find someone to take them off my hands. I do not want to sell them on Ebay or anything like that. I may keep one or two but if someone doesn't take them off my hands or they don't get eaten, they may be helping my tomato plants grow.......

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This is the first year of having koi that we have had a lot of babies make it. In 16 years we have only had 1 baby koi make it to maturity. Last year we built a playpen out of PVC and nettingto salvage our water lilies from the large koi and this year they used it as a spawning grounds! I had to go in and net 4 large koi out of the playpen! Needless to say, this year I have about 50 fry of koi and not sure how many goldies as they are black at this time and hard to count.

Reaction score
What seems to be the reason that they don't make it? How big do they get before you notice the attrition? Mine are now about 2-3" long and starting to show some color...

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
OK DrCase;
I know I promised. :) Here are a few shots of the still work in process Nursery pond. Notice the water in, is polished, with a filter pad that is changed daily. The drain is a shower drain that has a 1 1/2" adapter and abs pipe back to the pond. The small grill keeps the baby Koi in the Nursery and even though I don't promote skimmers, it does skim the surface scum and dust.

Attachments

• Nursery pond 1.jpg
    Nursery pond 1.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 495
  • Nursery pond 2.jpg
    Nursery pond 2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 519

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That does look good