What hunts for trapdoor snails?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This morning, I found a broken trapdoor snail shell, a broken ramshead snail shell, a water lettuce, and a floating fake lily flower on the stones just below the edge of one of my ponds (which has a "lip," so it isn't as though these things floated out of the pond on their own), along with several wet spots.

It appears that something stood on the stone and "hunted" for snails, for some of the plants also appeared disrupted. What could it be? It has to be something that is nocturnal because I was out at that pond at midnight and the pond had no "damage," but when I was back out there at 5AM, the damage was done.

It might be unrelated, but something also tried to dig out a concrete stepping stone I had drying in a mold. Most of the concrete had already set, so there was only minimal damage, but it looked like claw marks.

What do you think? Raccoon? Fox? Owl?

I guess I could Google this, but it's more fun to come interact with you amazing pond and garden geniuses. :):cool::love:

Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Raccoons love the snails.
Yikes! I have a major phobia of raccoons. :oops::eek: An irrational, over-the-top, absurd phobia.

I might be putting netting over that pond beginning this afternoon, once I am finished with all my online meetings. :p

Thank you!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have tons, seldom see them. They are night hunters. My pond is deep enough they can't reach the snails.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Look in your pond, see if you see any little hand type foot prints. Or around the pond is the land is damp, those are the raccoon prints.
When I first built my pond I would see prints in the shallow end. Have not found any in years now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep those raccoons can really mess up a pond. Since I reinforced my fence and net better now they have not been getting into my pond. I have to keep a short wire fence around the bottom w/netting hanging down over that w/extra wire woven into the low fence to keep them out tho. If just net they just tore through mine.

Mine is Fort Knox now!

IMG_8656.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just have a high hanging wide weave net over my pond. Sides open. The only critter I try hard to keep out is the persistent heron!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It's so funny that you mention that. Just yesterday, as I was working in my flower beds, I found an empty trapdoor snail shell!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's so funny that you mention that. Just yesterday, as I was working in my flower beds, I found an empty trapdoor snail shell!
I find empty shells, usually when pulling hornwort from the pond, the shells are here and there. I have a whole bunch of huge trap door snails in the ponds. And the tiny tiny babies.

Ask a Question