What I Found Between Liner and Underlayment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I pulled the liner today from the pond and stream. I was surprised to see the amount of roots, depressions in the liner and roofing felt disintegrating . My plan was to use the roofing felt (#15) again as an underlayment but now I am concerned this is not enough of a barrier. The pond was going into its 5th season before I decided to expand it. Should I use a different material for the underlayment?
Top picture is the underside of the 45 mil liner. The second picture is the #15 roof felt on top of the ground.
_DSC0877.JPG
_DSC0878.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used 2 layers of 15 lb and some 30 lb roofing felt to help with moles and then used the underlayment also on top of it .It was all leftover stuff from the house .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I used 2 layers of 15 lb and some 30 lb roofing felt to help with moles and then used the underlayment also on top of it .It was all leftover stuff from the house .
I was thinking of using a double layer .of the roofing felt. I may have access to used carpet padding .
I want to use the old liner to line the bog. Do you think the grooves created by the roots be an issue?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had underlayment under my other pond it fell apart and it was a good underlayment sent to me by a special friend that builds ponds ;)It did not last in spots and that pond was rebuilt in 2014 I was shocked at the condition of it ,which had thin spots and had slight rips in it ..I left it and put the new on top of it .I did leave in the roofing felt which was fine and got new underlayment .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I had underlayment under my other pond it fell apart and it was a good underlayment sent to me by a special friend that builds ponds ;)It did not last in spots and that pond was rebuilt in 2014 I was shocked at the condition of it ,which had thin spots and had slight rips in it ..I left it and put the new on top of it .I did leave in the roofing felt which was fine and got new underlayment .

Yes, some materials sold as underlayment will not hold up. Only the 6 oz. non-woven geotextile .does the job. This is sold by EasyPro and other well-known manufacturers.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This was given to me buy a well known pond builder so guessing it was good stuff since it was really thick and heavy .I put more on top of it after the rebuild again this year

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Not surprised to see roots under the pond, because plant roots will go for the moisture and easy access.
I am surprised of the condition of under layment, I thought it would last longer.
Is the liner also cracked and leaking.

Ruben

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
OHH the always go bigger or deeper .I found the tag for my underliner and shipping weight was 55 lbs and it was really heavy stuff .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I pulled my Arizona pond the carpet pad was still as if new.

Ask a Question