What I need to know about creating a bog with a liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was thinking of making a lined bog just for my houttuynia cordata plants so that I can use this plant without having to worry about becoming invasive in my garden. I was thinking dig a 1.5 ft deep by 3-4 ft wide area. From my research it says you need to make some holes on the side but that would destroy my purpose of trying to contain my houttuynias. Can bogs be made without holes? Are there any flooding and overflowing issues I need to be concerned about? Also how about mosquitoes.. I use bits for my pond but not sure if it’ll work in a bog. Please give me some advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What are you referring to about holes on the side? Where did you read that? Any active bog needs a way to return the water pumped from it back to the pond it came from, but other than that no holes are required.

As for flooding/overflow, the sides of a bog should be min. 6" higher than whatever your spillways is that is returning to your pond to reduce risk of plant mass raising water level over the sides of the bog. Mosquitoes shouldn't be an issue if you have adequate water flow into and out of the bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is not going to be a bog in relation to my pond. It is a bog purely meant to contain my houttuynia and allow it to grow in ground. I tried these plants as marginals and made some adjustments as suggested by some members here but the plant decides to be fussy about it still. Not using root barriers as they eventually fail even when fully enclosed and clamped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
a bog in this case is for water flow bottom to top and then return. Sounds like you just want to make a raised garden. No problem, have at it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not a raised bed either. I wanted to install the liner in ground and grow my plants in it and make it look natural like the liner isn’t even there. I’d like to know without holes if that’ll cause flooding issues or if I do need to put holes in the liner if the plant roots will reach all the way down to the bottom of the liner which is about 1.5-2 ft deep

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sure I never done this before and not an expert at this so don’t know what it’s called but I think you all know what I’m trying to do

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't think your houtuynia needs to be in a wet environment, do they? Mine certainly don't. So, you're confusing (me) with the desire to have a bog that isn't, with a lined flower bed that holds water. Just plant them; you don't need a liner unless you're trying to contain them. IF SO, it isn't clear. IF SO, you're going to have wet feet on your plants all the time. Poking holes will allow the water to drain, but perhaps not at the rate you want. Put down 8" of sand first, then your liner with holes on the bottom, then your plants. That should contain them while allowing the water to drain. Keep an eye on it as it still might be too wet. You could raise this bed a little and then do everything I outlined as then the top of your bed would at least dry out normally.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes I did say my goal of having this liner was to contain them. So 8in of sand in the bottom before the liner, how deep should the liner depth be?
They are natural bog plants so wetness shouldn’t be an issue. They can grow as marginals up to 2 inches deep in water, just mine for some reason isn’t doing so well in water. But I know they do because one at work is growing in 2 in of water and is absolutely beautiful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes I did say my goal of having this liner was to contain them. So 8in of sand in the bottom before the liner, how deep should the liner depth be?
They are natural bog plants so wetness shouldn’t be an issue. They can grow as marginals up to 2 inches deep in water, just mine for some reason isn’t doing so well in water. But I know they do because one at work is growing in 2 in of water and is absolutely beautiful.
I'd probably go at least 18". I doubt the roots will find the holes and circle up around the liner if that deep.

Ask a Question