What insects can I feed my fish?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello, Im just curious, what insects can I feed my goldfish?
Is moths and ants okay + there flakes and pellets + blood worms ever so often?
What is okay, and what isn't ?
Also my one goldfish is more of an aggressive fish than the others?
He is getting really big, should I be worried? Everyone seems healthy so far :)
Also still trying to find a tank big enough for the winter for indoors over winter since my tank isn't big enough. ... i have the pond upstairs + a 10 gallon tank upstairs (4 fish + a plecko)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Alice Val and I did an in depth studdy to alternate foods for our fish however you must understand these are treats and not to be fed 24/7 365.
So intersperse the treats between normal foods on a twice weekly basis and you wont go wrong
The middle section of our article covers live foods as you will see :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/alternate-foods-for-koi.4/

I hope this helps you plan future meals for your fish , you'll note that where possible weve noted down the various vitamins, protien and trace elements that are being fed to your fish through these alternate foods remember feed only Frozen, Live or Household foods/Garden (organic only).
Why not use the coming winter months to plan your first garden pond of size, with either liner or molded plastic sides etc .
As long as it has the depth to survive a freeze say 4ft deep and as many gallons as you wish.
Many of us here can talk you through the building of a pond .

Dave

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Alice, I think that anything that will fit into their mouths is OK for them to eat [well, with a few exceptions, but those are rare and I have no idea what they are.....]. I dropped a catarpillar in yesterday, and they like the little larvae that sometimes attack my water lilies. I'll occas. give them live meal worms when I'm feeding the turtles and they get slurped up. But, do you use pesticides in your yard at all? Because these could be on to the fish and that would be bad.

What do you mean when you say this one fish is more aggressive? Is it harming the other fish, or just getting to the food faster......?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, Im just curious, what insects can I feed my goldfish?
Is moths and ants okay + there flakes and pellets + blood worms ever so often?
What is okay, and what isn't ?
Also my one goldfish is more of an aggressive fish than the others?
He is getting really big, should I be worried? Everyone seems healthy so far :)
Also still trying to find a tank big enough for the winter for indoors over winter since my tank isn't big enough. ... i have the pond upstairs + a 10 gallon tank upstairs (4 fish + a plecko)

I would skip the ants as food for your fish. No scientific reason that I know of I just wouldn't do it.

Goldfish usually are not aggressive, what exactly is your fish doing that you think it is being aggressive?

As for your goldfish getting big the only thing you really need to worry about is water quality. If all the fish in your ten gallon tank are goldfish then you are way over stocked (assuming they are not little babies) if you have a common pleco he will get way to big for a tank that small. They need a lot of room as they will grow (if given the space) to 12-24 inches :wideyed:

I see you are still working on accommodations for the fish during the winter. I hope you can work something out :)

Ask a Question