What is a good food for Gold fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am giving them flakes but it seem they are not satisfied. 6 fish one tablespoon full of food once a day. Still looking for more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
They get too big for flakes pretty quick and I switch to pellets. I buy pellets from this place online: http://www.yourfishstuff.com/fish-food I've been feeding my Wakin the Cichlid Supreme Pellets I buy for my aquarium fish and they have grown fast. Check the ingredients of the food they offer, looks high quality.

I buy 5lbs at a time and keep most of it in the freezer until needed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
At the risk of getting shot.......I have a large dog that I buy 30 lbs of food a month for. The food is nugget-style, and it floats. Mostly, I let the fish fend for themselves with algae and what ever they can forage for themselves, but every other day or so I'll give them some dog food. They love it and when they hear the "plink" of a nugget on the surface they come running. They will also take slugs that have been hapless enough to be caught eating some of Herself's flowers. After watching them go after the slugs my esteem for them waned slightly, but I admire their carp-ish attitude of almost anything goes.
Neither the dog food or the slugs have harmed them in the least as I've had several of them since the pond's inception, (6+ years,) and the adults are 10-12" from nose to end of tail. These are just everyday comets.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@callingcolleen1 has been feeding her koi good quality dog food (puppy variety maybe) for years and her fish do great. We have (mostly) goldfish now, but they are still eating the food we bought when we had koi. We just bought the smaller pellets so the goldfish could eat them, too. And they get a steady diet of worms from my garden and any bugs that are unlucky enough to fall on the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you Lisak1 !
I don't feel nearly as negligent!:)
I know it's easy to assign our likes and dislikes to the palate of our fish, but after all is said and done, they are dressed up carp.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very true. And if you compare the ingredients on dog food and fish food, you may find they are more alike than different. It's probably more important that you find a food (dog fish or otherwise) that uses high quality ingredients and things closest to what nature intends for their species. My little dog is currently eating salmon - in the wild she wouldn't stand a chance of catching one, but we pretend she's a fierce hunter!

Ask a Question