What is Best Way to Fix Minor Cracks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Folks

my friend has a fiberglass liner pond that looks like it was installed in sections because it has seems
we have drained the pond and want to patch the minor cracks in the liner
i do not think the cracks have gone all the way through the liner, but we want to patch them all

I think we need some type of epoxy for fiberglass and some type of caulk to do the seams

anyone have any suggestions

all advice is appreciated

Thanks
JC

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have never heard of anything that will fix preformed liners that will last since those ponds are rigid .

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hi Folks

my friend has a fiberglass liner pond that looks like it was installed in sections because it has seems
we have drained the pond and want to patch the minor cracks in the liner
i do not think the cracks have gone all the way through the liner, but we want to patch them all

I think we need some type of epoxy for fiberglass and some type of caulk to do the seams

anyone have any suggestions

all advice is appreciated

Thanks
JC

Why bother? Put an EPDM liner over the top of the fiberglass mould.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would just take the one out that is cracked and put a liner in that one like said and leave the rest alone .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The older fiberglass gets, the more brittle it becomes. I don't know where you live, or how old the 'glass is, but if you have substantial ambient temperature swings, your liner will most likely continue to flex and crack over time. If the liner is old, the new repair will hold for a while, but being stronger will stress the adjacent area's.
I suspect you discovered the cracks by water loss? If that's the case, the cracks must have gone through. How big is the liner?

Welcome to the board!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Folks,

The cracks i have seen are no more than 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches
it is in San Pedro, CA
the pond is about 20-30 feet, if i had to guess

i don't think the cracks are all the way through from what i can see, not sure

liner could be more than 10 years old, but not sure

what is "EPDM" ?

thanks for all the input, appreciate it

JC

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
epdm is 45 mil firestone rubber liner in most cases .Last and not easy to tear or get holes in it .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
this is how mine came UPS

Attachments

• DSC00827.JPG
    DSC00827.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC00828.JPG
    DSC00828.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 269
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks

i see a youtube video on EPDM and RPE

Looks to be expensive, depending on size

How is that liner secured ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They sent me a sample of the rpe and I was not really impressed with it .I saw the same video at the time .It reminded me of the billboard tarp liners that are sold .I have a billboard tarp liner so it was a pretty good comparison .What is strange about it is that I looked it up and could find little info on it that was not older info .I found that the edges on the rpe shredded somewhat when pulled on .The liners once put in properly just sit still and to hide the top part you just use rocks .Mine it just set over the top of the concrete block .

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks

i see a youtube video on EPDM and RPE

Looks to be expensive, depending on size

How is that liner secured ?
"Expensive" is cheating out on the most important component of the pond. It's the base of all that will be. Never cheap out on the liner, unless of course you enjoy re-lining and spending $ twice. Dig a shallow lip (2") around the perimeter of the hole, lay the liner, fill the pond, pleat liner as required, place your stones on the liner on the shallow lip and fill the pond. You won't see the liner and the stones will be partially immersed giving a natural appearance. Leave enough liner to cover the backs of the laid stones and backfill with soil/whatever you choose.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Other thing is try to not cut your liner to fit as most here have done is go bigger and that extra liner you leave will allow you to go slightly bigger or deeper .You may want to build the sides up higher .I saw one you tube that had heavy rain and ended up having to go almost 12 inch's higher because he under estimated run off .He even stated that someone had told him to fold the extra liner under itself so if he needed the extra liner it was there .I left my extra liner and have decided this summer that I am going to raise the side of the pond another 6 inch's .My rebuild last year

Attachments

• 100_8976.JPG
    100_8976.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 287

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Other thing is try to not cut your liner to fit as most here have done is go bigger and that extra liner you leave will allow you to go slightly bigger or deeper .You may want to build the sides up higher .I saw one you tube that had heavy rain and ended up having to go almost 12 inch's higher because he under estimated run off .He even stated that someone had told him to fold the extra liner under itself so if he needed the extra liner it was there .I left my extra liner and have decided this summer that I am going to raise the side of the pond another 6 inch's .My rebuild last year

The best means of preventing overflow is to install an overflow pipe (2" ABS) at the lowest part of the pond and have it run downhill. In the event that there is heavy rain, snowmelt, etc., the "excess" water is able to escape the pond through the overflow pipe.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have an over flow pipe on 2 corners but I want to raise the sides because up by the waterfall pond the water gets up to it and I had my pond like that a couple of years ago and I liked it but aggie and bert could get up there and want it somewhat again to allow baby fish an escape and found it was much easier to catch them up there.Even 2 4 inch pipes could not handle the overflow from the storm we had a couple of weeks ago and I even made sure they were not clogged .The pipes were not round pipes they were warped with heat to oval .I think it was koiguy who did that with an outflow for a filter he had

Ask a Question