What is eating my frogs?

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Recently, I found a frog in the pond with one leg missing. Today I found another one in the skimmer with both of its right legs missing. These are pretty good sized frogs 4". Could my koi be eating them or is it something more sinister ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hmmmm, I honestly don't know. How large are your koi? Do you have turtles, snakes? A mystery to be sure!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I watch the hawks take them, they take the whole frog not just a piece of it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sissy here has koi that will eat frogs I believe. Really sounds tho like something w/ sharper teeth or maybe the frogs getting caught in something. Kind of weird that the right side legs are both gone from the one frog. How could a fish bite two legs at once,guess it could have came back for the other one............well maybe but I'm scratching my head on this one. Maybe they are deformed frogs?

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
There are obvious injuries so they aren't deformed. I thought maybe the cat but I have never seen them around the pond. One of the cats is handicapped so she couldn't move fast enough to catch a frog.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You will never know unless you stake out the pond all night and day or get a camera set up that watches and records what visits there.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
seems like they're getting caught on something but a predator is possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yup,
Sounds like a snapping turtle is stopping by for a snack periodically
Sneaky so and so's

Regards, andy
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/
snapping turtle cuddles.jpg

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Nope, no clue. I think if it was a snapping turtle, I would see it sometimes in the pond, I am out there alot. My big pond has straight sides and no easy access in or out. It may have fell in but I doubt it could get out. My husband thinks it may be raccoons. We have had a problem with them eating the horse feed in the past. We have a humane trap that we may set to see if we catch one.

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
, no clue. I think if it was a snapping turtle, I would see it sometimes in the pond, I am out there alot. My big pond has straight sides and no easy access in or out. It may have fell in but I doubt it could get out. My husband thinks it may be raccoons. We have had a problem with them eating the horse feed in the past. We have a humane trap that we may set to see if we catch one.

Really? I have seen a couple in my yard this year and chase them away. They freak me out. I'm all fenced in so they are coming in from somewhere and I like to go out and chk on pond at night and don't want to bump into one.
Also Come to think of it I am missing 2 large Bull frogs. Haven't seen them in weeks. Who knows? I just never would have thought that. They don't seem like they would be fast enough but what do I know.

Ask a Question