What is eating my waterlettuce ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got these in early july .they were very healthy .(from a large lake that was full of them)
after a month now looks like something has been eating them all up.
Can't see anything ,and never seen the goldfish even come close to them.
Anotherthing they never had babies like others I have had
My lilies and other plant has no damage
Is there anything I can spray on them,or should I just replace them ?
last pic is how others were a few years back
100_0031.JPG
100_0030.JPG
waterlettuce.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My guess there is some sort of small beetle that laid eggs on them and they hatched. This is a big problem with hostas right now. They go after smooth leaf hostas and make them look like skeletons The two ways to get rid of the bugs is either to spray them of remove damaged leaves. If you spray them you have to do it at the right time and my guess you don't want to do that around your pond. My suggestion would be get rid of them all as soon as possible and hope you get rid of the bugs at the same time and then go to the store next time you want any. I buy one wl and one wh every year ($7 investment total) and by the end of the season I am throwing away lots of them every day.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My guess there is some sort of small beetle that laid eggs on them and they hatched. This is a big problem with hostas right now. They go after smooth leaf hostas and make them look like skeletons The two ways to get rid of the bugs is either to spray them of remove damaged leaves. If you spray them you have to do it at the right time and my guess you don't want to do that around your pond. My suggestion would be get rid of them all as soon as possible and hope you get rid of the bugs at the same time and then go to the store next time you want any. I buy one wl and one wh every year ($7 investment total) and by the end of the season I am throwing away lots of them every day.

Reaction score
Country
United States
thank you for the advise.
I will get rid of all of them, and buy just a few and let them multiply

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - definitely bug damage and I would agree with @CometKeith that you brought the bugs home with the plants.

Where are you located that these grow naturally? Are they considered invasive? Many states are banning the sale of WL and WH to ponders because of the fear they will spread to natural waterways. Even here in the midwest, where there's no chance they would survive our winters.

Ask a Question