What is going on with my female koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a female koi that has spawned every year but this year she did not. All the other ones did. She looks like a football. She has never been like this. I am afraid she is going to blow up she is not as active as normal. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 14358075270121399829770.jpg
    14358075270121399829770.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 297
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
There are a mumber of possibilities that this is being caused by number one on my list would be that your fkoi has become egg bound.
You really need to have this koi anethatized so that you can feel her under side .
Gently feel the swelling and if it feels but at the same to not too fluid then its certain your fish has un released eggs in her, normally a female spawns at a temperature of 20c, if the female doesnt spawn they would normally be re-absorbed
I would suggest you seperate this female off in a QRR vat with one or two other males and a few new mop heads or spawning mat if you have one at a temperature of around 18c then after a weej or so put the female into a seperate tank along wih a male then raise the tank temperature to over 20c, then sit down and let natur taje its course.if she does spawn all well and good if she doesnt she may have been uubduced into spawning condition which can been identified when the females vent is in a distended state ,
If she still wont spawn then I siggest you go to a koi deaaler and ask him for help in stripping her of her eggs [this is something you shouldnot try iy needs an expert] and if all this doesnt work you could try hormone injections however I'll be truthfull this can result in mortalities,
They are also expernsive and there is no garenteee that they will even work.
The experts suggest you then let her have a period of months in colder water over the winter period and then monitor the koi on a daily basis and if necessarry put her back in the anethetic water and let her drift of to a painless sleep .
See my article aon anethesia this will take you through the proceedure of its use with your koi when they need to be handled for infections etc :- .

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/the-various-stages-of-anesthetics.5/

Be aware that there is a darker side to this as this may well be being caused by a tumour be a but only a vet with ultrasound equipment can tell you yes ir no and if it can even be operated on which may cost thousands of US Dollars ,
again the last course of action will be to monitor the fish daily then Euthanize when it starts to have major problems like with the swimbladder when the tumour starts pressing on it then Euthanize .
There are a bumber of anesthetics , we use one called MS222 but you can buy others Kusuri do a good one and they now sell in the US which is oil of cloves based at a dose rate of 10ml per 2 gallons US
I hope this information helps you with her and that you can resolve her reluctance to spawn as I dont really like the other option do you ?;)
If the

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a female koi that has spawned every year but this year she did not. All the other ones did. She looks like a football. She has never been like this. I am afraid she is going to blow up she is not as active as normal. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Dave 54. I live in Oregon and the weather is now warm so I can not control the water temperature. I kinda thought that she was egg bound but was hoping that there was an easy fix for her. She is not a high quality but I am sorry to lose her, I have had her a long time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Can you put her in a separate tank with a male? I've also read that sometime the eggs are reabsorbed over the winter, or if they're fed lightly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh its not the end for her as Tula said she may still absorbe them just be aware of all possibilities Val and I will never give in og a koi

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh its not the end for her as Tula said she may still absorbe them just be aware of all possibilities Val and I will never give in og a koi

Dave
Thanks for the positive sounding help. She is in with several males and has mass spawned for a number of years. This is the first time she has had a problem. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on her and see what happens. JD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
She is a lovely fish, I like her long flowing fins. Does she have yellow on her head, or is she all white / platinum ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It may well be that mass spawning has become too rough for her , because perhaps over the last year the ratio of males to females has gotten out of sinc in your pond with sub adult males coming into maturity .
You could try renoving some males from the pond to see if that may help calm her nerve somewhat...Think about it ?..... . Spawning at the best of times is a rough old affair especially if your not as young as you used to be [oh no I cant face the Mele as there are too many males] .... she is 15 years of age now probably passed her prime years, so she refuses to spawn because of this or is even saying I'm too old for this even .,
I've seen koi lfted clear of a pond by this actiivity before nowand the females can get quite beaten up with damage to fins eyes scales etc frequently being treated .
It may well be her remaining time be spent in an aquarium in the house perhaps on her own or with one other female

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to report that I could not stand to see her suffer any longer. I am sad to loose her and miss seeing her at least she no longer suffers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
jd, I'm very sorry for the loss of your beautiful fish. Very hard decision, but she is no longer suffering.

Ask a Question