What is happening with my koi?

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hello, i just saw that one of my koi is on its side it has been doing it for two days. I cant get closer to see whats going on as they are still new and whenever i get close they all go away. I have them in a large tank outside so i can still see the fish that is on its sidr

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome.

I am so sorry, but you need to give us more information. There is no way anyone can tell you what is going on simply by knowing that a fish is lying on its side.

• Where do you live? (climate info is helpful, especially during times of extreme weather conditions)
  • how big is your pond, or “tank”?
  • how long has this pond or “tank” been up and running?
  • how many koi do you have, and how big are they?
  • what kind of filtration and pump do you have?
  • do you do water testing? If so, it would be helpful if we knew your pH, ammonia, nitrites, and KH (if you have the test for KH). please don’t say ”numbers are fine,” or numbers are spot on.” We need to know what those water test numbers are.
  • have you recently added any new fish?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1614015836421.gif
@Elstont

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
After i wrote that thread i went back and checked on it he was now on the very bottom of the tank. It was also away from the other fish that were there. It is around 10 by 5 by 3 feet with 6 small young koi inside which are around 3 inches. I live in malaysia so there is no worry of extreme cold

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can you take some pictures of the fish in question?

Can you take some pictures of your tank?

Again, we really don’t have enough information to help you. It’s like if you call your doctors office and all the information you give them is, “my toe hurts.” The doctor will have to ask you questions to try and find out why your toe hurts. The doctor will want to examine you. Without information, about all the doctor can say is, “put a bandaid on it.”

• How long have these koi been in your tank?
  • Have you recently added any new fish or have there been any other recent changes?
  • What kind of filtration do you have?
  • Are there any signs of injury on this koi?
  • please test your water!
  • ”Climate” can mean different things: heat related, as well as cold related. What is your weather like right now?
It sounds like your pond might be a little over 1000 gallons. Six “young small koi” might be too many. At this point, this may or may not be what’s wrong with this koi. More information (and pictures), please!

Ask a Question