What is ideal GH for goldfish pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning from MN. Curious, what is ideal GH for goldfish pond? I have plants and shubunkins in 850 gallon pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is from the FAO publication “SmallScale Aquaponics Food Production, Integrated fish and plant farming”
020636D6-9D87-4883-A1FE-7002740E7E5F.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not specific to goldfish, but a University of NM aquaponics publication says,

“Water Hardness
Water hardness is a measure of positively charged ions, particularly calcium (Ca2+) and magnesium (Mg2+). To- tal hardness is the sum of the concentration of Ca2+ and Mg2+, as expressed in ppm calcium carbonate (CaCO3). Hardness can range from soft (0–75 ppm) to very hard (>300 ppm). Dissolved calcium in the water aids in os- moregulation and relieves stress in fish. Levels should be maintained between 50 and 100 ppm.”

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To me, KH is much more important and I don't even check for GH. The few times I have tested for it over the years, it's normally close to the same number as the KH in my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hard is good. I keep the KH in my pond at around 200 ppm. My filters work best at that level and that much KH keeps the pH very stable.

Ask a Question