What is Koi Clay used for?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I see Koi Clay come up in various posts, articles, & forums and just wondering what it's used for and if it's just a fad......

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I see Koi Clay come up in various posts, articles, & forums and just wondering what it's used for and if it's just a fad......
If your talking about what I know as Koi clay then it is a powder you add to the pond or tank to provide minerals enzymes calcium etc etc. by creating a substance in the bottom of the pond that produces the things I mentioned. I don't know of any other thing called koi clay but there may be something else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If your talking about what I know as Koi clay then it is a powder you add to the pond or tank to provide minerals enzymes calcium etc etc. by creating a substance in the bottom of the pond that produces the things I mentioned. I don't know of any other thing called koi clay but there may be something else.
Yes Marshall has hit the nail on the head here all of what she has mentioned klay does plus it acts as a flucculant in that the clay gathers other particles too it, these then clump together and fall to the bottom of the pond.

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It was recommended to me the day I bought my koi and if you turn off your pumps and pour it across your water it will clarify your water and helps make the color of all fish brighter and helps there digestion .I also pour it on there food and it sticks and makes the food grey .I have used it for 11 years now

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks! I had done a little reading on it, but wondered if it was like so many other things in the ponding world where you question its efficacy and is it more of a "fad" thing. So from what I gather, it does have a legit benefit, but it's not something you have to have.

I read a few things where people said it "gummed" up their filters. Any feedback on this?

And what happens if you don't use it like they recommend [weekly applications], but only use it periodically? Would there still be any benefits from it, or is it an all-or-nothing additive?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That has never happened to me only thing i can think of is that they put to much in and had there pumps working while they were putting it in .You are supposed to put it in while your pumps are off and wait for some of the cloudiness to clear and then turn your pumps back on .The aerator really helps when you put it in also .I put it in every 2 weeks and only a cup for my 5000 gallons .At the beginning of the pond season I put in 4 cups every 2 weeks for 6 weeks it kills off the algae that may appear

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Never happened to us either Maggie , why not try it add some on a regula basis monthly , however this isnt the only product on the market there is Fok Bio factor VL which you add when any fish are sick and is a pink powder or simply just add it to your pond as a boost:-

http://www.koi-zone.co.uk/Water-Treatments/FOK-BIO-Factor-VL-sc-569.html

Theres a product called refresh and many more varients of klay

Dave

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
People think it is only for koi but all fish benefit from it .There colors get brighter and it helps with there slime coat in my opinion

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So, then is "koi clay" a branded product?

I just looked on the pkg of the kitty litter I use to pot water lilies and it says it contains Fuller's Earth. Looked that up, and it sounds like it's a concoction of several different things.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I buy mine on ebay from a reputable person that says it is pure .I know people here that use it for facials and also drink some of it in a glass of water .I can't find it here anyplace .It is very fine like dust .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get it with calcium .I shook my hand 3 times and it was still on my hands and this is who I get it from .I have gotten it from them and others and more expensive than this guy offers it .The bag I got was full to the top and I got them during the winter when it was cheaper at 9 dollars

Attachments

• koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 045.JPG
    koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 045.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 480
  • koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 046.JPG
    koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 046.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 516

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get a bag and jump up and down on it to crush the litter. I heard koi clay is just real fine kitty litter, the plain clay stuff.
Not sure though.

Ask a Question