sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There is a difference I found out after talking to ponddigger that clay' s come from different areas one is bentonite and there is calcium clay and one that is montmorillonite that is calcium clay .He stated that bentonite is OK but the others are better

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, just for kicks, I added some of the "Fuller's Earth," WallyWorld kitty litter to the bog yesterday. No additives, unscented, non-clumping. It seemed to dissolve down pretty fast.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We use koi clay every few weeks. The fish love it - they line up to swim through it when I pour it in. (I add a few tablespoons to the watering can, fill it with water, mix it up and pour it in.) It really helps to settle any debris that gets stirred up when I'm done messing in the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember if you plant in kitty litter it is doing the same thing but it does not have calcium in it ,that is the main difference .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I may be wrong, but Sodium Bentonite is the form used for sealing ponds and wells as it will swell (clump), and is used in 'clumping' cat litter. Calcium Bentonite does not swell and is what is used in plain cat litter. From my sources, Koi clay and plain cat litter are one and the same.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I may be wrong, but Sodium Bentonite is the form used for sealing ponds and wells as it will swell (clump), and is used in 'clumping' cat litter. Calcium Bentonite does not swell and is what is used in plain cat litter. From my sources, Koi clay and plain cat litter are one and the same.
I have some plain old unscented, non-clumping kitty litter and it lists "Fuller's Earth" as the ingredient. From what I read, Fuller's Earth can be a mixture of several different things, so unless it states it on the label, I wouldn't count on it's having a majority of Ca Bentonite. But that's just the litter I happen to have [from WallyWorld], so different brands could have different contents.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
True because when i was looking for it I read about 4 different brands that I saw that say they were plain kitty litter and I was amazed, thought plain meant plain .green bags, red bags, blue bags and yellow bags and all different .Even pet store brands were different and ones in dollar store were different .I know when I owned my cat Pussy Galore he was allergic to all the kitty litters and had to get paper shredder to give him litter that would not infect his feet .He was spoiled rotten .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have some plain old unscented, non-clumping kitty litter and it lists "Fuller's Earth" as the ingredient. From what I read, Fuller's Earth can be a mixture of several different things, so unless it states it on the label, I wouldn't count on it's having a majority of Ca Bentonite. But that's just the litter I happen to have [from WallyWorld], so different brands could have different contents.

Fuller's earth is any clay material that has the capability to decolorize oil or other liquids without chemical treatment.[1] Fuller's earth typically consists of palygorskite (attapulgite) or bentonite.[Hosterman, John W.; Sam H. Patterson (1992). "Bentonite and Fuller's Earth Resources of the United States". U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1522 (U.S. Government Printing Office).

Calcium Bentonite.....is the main active ingredient of fuller's earth, probably one of the earliest industrial cleaning agents.R.H.S, Robertson, 1986. Fuller's Earth. A History of calcium montmorillonite. Volturna, Press, U.K., ISBN 0-85606-070-4

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is full of koi clay, I use bags, lots of them, of kitty litter, if it has the same ingredient as koi clay. Which it sounds like it does.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Clay is an an excellent adsorber of excess nutrients.
We have a gravel driveway and roads here and a lot of clay dust gets blown into the pond, which I'm thankful for.
Some clay can have a surface area of 800 square meters/gram.
Here's an interesting article on clay:
http://www.soilminerals.com/Cation_Exchange_Simplified.htm

Ask a Question