What is the easiest plants to grow. Floaters?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So I saw a pond plant starter kit at Lowe's the other day for like $30. But it made me start to wonder what would actually grow. My small lined pond has direct sun for about 6 hours a day, then around 3pm it gets filtered. I am in zone 9b, I think, south louisiana. I really would love a lily of some kind, and maybe some floaters. I have shelves about 10 inches down and the side edges are very shallow, so any animals that go in, can get out. Any ideas? I'm guessing I would likely buy off ebay, unless someone on here is selling something that may live? Oh and I have looked, but can't find a site that actually tells me what is illegal to have here? I do see water hyacinths is an invasive species here.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
For in my pond, I have lilies and parrots feather both rock in full sun. I like water lettuce and water hyacinth but both die on me every winter. I think they are illegal in LA but not sure.
I've got a similar sun situation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
For in my pond, I have lilies and parrots feather both rock in full sun. I like water lettuce and water hyacinth but both die on me every winter. I think they are illegal in LA but not sure.
I've got a similar sun situation.
I just looked at parrots feather, and that looks like a good one to try. I just want to make sure the fish have a good place to hide. I did put some hornwort in there, but I don't think it will live too long. Do you do anything special for the plants?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My hornwort just disappears every time I stuck it in the pond so I stopped. When I plant or repot my Iris I add a small amount of Osmocote. Not every year but maybe every other. I figure the fish poop does the rest.
I am pulling a bunch of PF if you want me to ship you a box full. Are you looking for shallow around the pond plants too or just in the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My hornwort just disappears every time I stuck it in the pond so I stopped. When I plant or repot my Iris I add a small amount of Osmocote. Not every year but maybe every other. I figure the fish poop does the rest.
I am pulling a bunch of PF if you want me to ship you a box full. Are you looking for shallow around the pond plants too or just in the pond?
If you dont mind I'd love some plants:). I have a PayPal account, and be totally willing to pay for them. Really I'm just looking to try a few things. I'll post a picture of how shallow the edge gets, I'm thinking some plants may love that. Obviously not the ones I tried to put there, but they were just ones I found. It's all just a big experience. Oh and the second picture is my mini waterfall filter with lava rocks. Do you know of anything that would grow in there and hide it a little? It has movement, and it dosent get as much light. Thanks

Attachments

• 20170425_134741.jpg
    20170425_134741.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 20170425_134757.jpg
    20170425_134757.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 196

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Anything that is growing in my pond should grow in yours.
You can click the little link below and it's lead you to my showcase with recent pictures of what's growing and what isn't. I am planning on a clean next weekend (not this coming) so I'll IM you what I've got. I don't have a pay pal so once I pull, you tell me what size box, I'll ship it and you can send me a check for the shipping. It's the "if it fits it ships box" through the post office. So there's no surprises on the shipping. Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Anything that is growing in my pond should grow in yours.
You can click the little link below and it's lead you to my showcase with recent pictures of what's growing and what isn't. I am planning on a clean next weekend (not this coming) so I'll IM you what I've got. I don't have a pay pal so once I pull, you tell me what size box, I'll ship it and you can send me a check for the shipping. It's the "if it fits it ships box" through the post office. So there's no surprises on the shipping. Lol
That sounds great. There's no rush. I'm just happy to find someone who will ship me some plants. I will try anything you are tossing, lol, I'm not picky. Just let me know when you are ready. And again thanks:)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I sure will! I got all my starters from Addy on here so it's awesome that I can share them.
@addy1 do you still keep the map of where all your plants have landed? Add New Orleans to the list. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I sure will! I got all my starters from Addy on here so it's awesome that I can share them.
@addy1 do you still keep the map of where all your plants have landed? Add New Orleans to the list. :)
That's so cool, maybe one day I can do the same. And I'm actually in St bernard parish, Arabi. The Jackson barracks separates us from new Orleans 9th ward. It's a quiet place, the opposite of new orleans.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good luck with your plants. You can try annuals like mint or other herbs or any kind of lily or sedge if planted correctly. I have also seen impatients work very nicely in a pond. I have floating plants that multiply like crazy in the summer but my pond is more like a water garden with only goldfish, lots of water movement, and lightly filtered water so the floaters really take off. I have seen heavy filtered Koi ponds where floaters won't grow at all.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Floaters don't do well in my pond, the bog sucks a lot of nutrients out of the water supporting the plants that are growing in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Good luck with your plants. You can try annuals like mint or other herbs or any kind of lily or sedge if planted correctly. I have also seen impatients work very nicely in a pond. I have floating plants that multiply like crazy in the summer but my pond is more like a water garden with only goldfish, lots of water movement, and lightly filtered water so the floaters really take off. I have seen heavy filtered Koi ponds where floaters won't grow at all.
I had a 55 gallon drum I was going to use as a filter. But the more reading I did, it seems there is a balance when plants and fish are together. I only plan on having goldfish, it's just too small for koi. So my thought is the lava filter will grow some good bacteria that will help that balance to maintain. Still trying to understand how fertilizer works without an algea bloom. Tried that in my aquarium, the wrong plant thrived, took forever to get rid of it. Hoping for better luck in the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are some "mini" varieties of water lilies that might work. Remind us again....what are the dimensions and depth of your pond? If you have fish, the lily pads could offer shade for the water. Parrots feather, as others have mentioned, would be nice, as well.

Ask a Question