What is the most invasive "mint" you can think of -- NOT including aquatic version.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The mint family is very large. All of the native ones I know spread fairly easily, the non-native ones I know are all invasive. I guess it's just a trait of mint-family plants.

Speaking of, I found a plant along my driveway today that looked like a mint relative. Rubbed it on my fingers to see, and it had a minty smell. I then went inside and realized my cat really enjoyed the smell, and I instantly realized it was catnip. ha!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer Did your "catnip" look like this?
image.jpg
image.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have mint growing along two fence lines, it is a great fall feed for the bees and yes it does spread, by seed and by runners.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love mint! All of them! But I've learned to grow it in pots after finally ridding myself of a wonderful gift from my neighbor. Right now we have chocolate mint and lemon mint and pineapple mint and ginger mint all growing in one pot. I love to run my hands over the pot when I walk by. And delicious in iced tea!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i couldn't grow mint.. im pretty good at growing things but mint...

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I have no idea what kind this is, but you could hide a turd of hurdles... er, I mean a herd of turtles in this stuff! Every so often I take the mower to it, and it just pops right back. The deck is 10' off the ground, so it gets mostly shade and lots of fresh air.
John

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I kept pigeons for many years, but the rodents got so bad they were eating 75 cents of every dollar I spent on feed. Someone told me to plant mint around the loft because mice don't like the smell. I did, but the mice kept eating it! o_O But yes, it does smell nice.
John

Ask a Question