What is this black spongey looking thing floating in this backyard pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

It looks like algae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Black algae is not a good thing! I wonder how it got into your pond? did you add anything to the pond in the last few months? (ornaments or wood or new plants?). If it was me I would be scooping it out with a net and keep doing that regularly until it is gone. Do you have fish in the pond? is there filtration or main plants somewhere? you have an excess of plant nutrients which is why the black algae is going strongly and also the green algae that you have looks to be going pretty well. Plants in the pond or good filtration to control nutrients should fix the green algae and netting the black algae (and keep doing it when it comes back) will eventually get rid of it.
Ray

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Agreed, algae. Ease up on feeding the fish if you have any as well. Use a large net to remove as much of algae as you can, and once you get a better balance, the rest will die off.

Ask a Question