What is this fish?

Reaction score
I have been given these fish. There are about 50 of them and they are all in varying sizes. Can you help me find out what this fish is please. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 298
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Can you take a shot of the mouth parts please it looks like a young koi a Chagio but the photo doesnt help in identifying it even one in a tank would help we really need to see the dorsal as it would be in the water
However it ay well be a hybrid koi/goldfish or even a Crusian Carp ....

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
looking at the shiner the whole fish is different so we can strike that one off , the Crusian Carp though similar isnt the right shape so I recon it has to be either a Chagoi koi or the koi/goldfish hybrid

rgrds

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, more pics of the head & mouth parts! From this pic, it almost looks like it has a "dished," or scooped shape between the eye area and mouth tip, and may be a little pointed. Also looks like the mouth is midline and slightly up-turned. But that could just be the lighting......

Also pics of the fish from above (in the water), as well as a side view (in water).

What is the behavior -- how do they act? What colors?

You said various sizes -- can you guesstimate the size of the biggest & smallest in the group?

No, I don't know a thing about fish, but this is fun -- and teaches me to OBSERVE! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The eyes are wrong for a goldfsh as is the shape of the forehead thats why I'm staying with the hybrid koi/goldfish.

rgrds

Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The mouth is open, that's why the head looks differrent. A wild-colour goldfish!
John

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
When I first looked at the fish first glance I thought common Goldfish, What some refer to as natural coloration, but looking closer I agree with Dave, Something doesn't look right in the head area for a common goldfish. I'm not sure what it is. I would say it's definitely in the same family as the goldfish and not a shiner.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
It is a radioactive hybrid killer (RHK) placed in your pond by the radical PLF (Pond Liberation Front). In 3 to 6 weeks it will develop wings then you least expect it the RHK will take to the air and drop deadly radioactive poop on you.

Na, just jokin'. :)

Ask a Question