What is this? Looks like a bee but can't be as been under water!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking at my plants in my pond and one that never flowered last year I pulled out, it was totally submerged in the water. When looking at the card to see if I had at right depth I noticed this bug, rather big very slowly moving on the soil.

What is it? Should I put it back in the water?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bees are out flying, they love the plant covered stinky water. It looks like one, maybe a drone, male bee

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Why w
My bees are out flying, they love the plant covered stinky water. It looks like one, maybe a drone, male bee
Why would it be under the water though? It's not now and moving so slow, hope I have not harmed it

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Why w

Why would it be under the water though? It's not now and moving so slow, hope I have not harmed it

They can fall in or fly in by accident. The plant is probably the first thing it was able to grab onto. Even if they grab onto it above water, they'll sometimes walk down it underwater in hopes of finding an escape route. It's moving slow likely because it was nearly dead by being underwater. If I find insects struggling in water I tend to put them somewhere in the sun so they dry off and warm up, although usually any insects in my pond will be eaten by frogs long before I see them.

Ask a Question