What is this on my carp?

Reaction score
My fish pond is doing very well and my carp is getting really big, but I just happened to see him today and he has this "thing" on him and it's recent since I see him pretty frequently. I did notice this on one of my fish a month or so ago and I removed him from the pond. Anyone have any idea of what it might be?

carp.JPG

carp.PNG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like some kind of fungus maybe from a sore where it got injured but I'm no expert!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Not a carp at all, that is a plecostomus and it has a growth that really needs to be scoped to determine what it is exactly. Looks to be fungal but that's just a quess.

Reaction score
Not a carp at all, that is a plecostomus and it has a growth that really needs to be scoped to determine what it is exactly. Looks to be fungal but that's just a quess.
I'll have to go by the water garden place we get everything from including the fish and show them the photos and see what they think or call and see if the "scope". Thanks

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Just so you know what scoping is, Take a skin scraping, place on a slide and have a VETANARIAN look and see what it is under a microscope. If the garden center sold you that fish as a carp, I wouldn't trust their thoughts on what it is. That fish isn't even in the carp family. LOL

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Something you can try and it won't hurt a thing is find a tetracycline capsule, Available at any pet store or vet. Break it open and make a thick paste with it and a drop of water, then apply directly to the spot. It may or may not help, but it won't harm the fish if it doesn't help.

Reaction score
Just so you know what scoping is, Take a skin scraping, place on a slide and have a VETANARIAN look and see what it is under a microscope. If the garden center sold you that fish as a carp, I wouldn't trust their thoughts on what it is. That fish isn't even in the carp family. LOL
No..actually they told me it was a shark and then someone here told me it was something else and it was probably what you said it was and I said carp. Sounds like an expensive process going to a vet!

Reaction score
Something you can try and it won't hurt a thing is find a tetracycline capsule, Available at any pet store or vet. Break it open and make a thick paste with it and a drop of water, then apply directly to the spot. It may or may not help, but it won't harm the fish if it doesn't help.
Awesome..I will try that! I do have a rotten neighbor who has been throwing things into our pond so for all I know something he has tossed in has caused the problem since it's the second fish to have this. This one was fine less than a month ago!

Reaction score
You can also try taking a scraping to your local county extension office. They have a scope and chances are in Houston probably some broad generalists. And they don't charge for residential.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
county ag agent?

cooperative extension program?

created by the land grant system to extend university knowledge out into the community.

call these follks: Ask a Master Gardener - Harris County Extension

We do some home garden pond testing in our county

Maybe a nearby university could help or guide you in the right direction. LSU, here in LA has a lot of programs, so would think TX [Houston] would also.

Reaction score
I just emailed the "ask a master gardener" and attached photos of the problem with my fish. Will followup with a phone call once I get a response. They are less than 30 minutes away so that will be conveinent if they are willing and able to have me bring the fish in. Thanks so much for taking the time to provide me with the website and I will followup once I know what is going on.

Ask a Question