What is this plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have this plant growing in my irrigation ditch. I was wondering what it was and if I should try and get it to grow in my goldfish pond?
Thank you.

Attachments

• 20170721_145917-1.jpg
    20170721_145917-1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 215

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We have something like that in our ditches here also and I took some out of the ditch and threw it in the pond. It lasted a bit but not over winter. Think it needs to be rooted in a pot. Not sure if the goldfish were eating it or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I looked up - hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' and I agree that it would be pretty neat if was actually that. BUT I don't think that is what it is. I've attached another photo. Mine isn't nearly as plush as the photos I found of "Cuba". Mine is very spindly. Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• 20170721_152303.jpg
    20170721_152303.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 178

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Ginger2111 Cuba wild is different than captive grown, as when it is grown in aquascapes, Pressurized co2 (usually 3bps, 2bps, 1bps), Fertilized Dosing Regime, etc etc. All plants are much different in wild habitats than in aquascapes or in ponds as there are different needs, wants, or don't wants.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That looks like exactly what is in our ditches and it is always rooted but the tops float to the surface making it a neat looking addition. I might try to pot some up someday and see if it grows. Then i will prolly find out the fish love to eat it all up!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have this plant growing in my irrigation ditch. I was wondering what it was and if I should try and get it to grow in my goldfish pond?
Thank you.
This is a Water-starwort (Callitriche) in the Plantain Family (Plantaginaceae). There are seven species found in Oregon and they are difficult to distinguish without a sample with mature fruit.

Ask a Question