What is wrong with my Angel?

Reaction score
I woke this morning, went to feed my fish and noticed that one of my big butterfly koi was not acting his normal hyper self. He would not eat (totally unusual for him or any of my koi). When I got closer to inspect him, I found this... he seems a little bigger in the middle. The issue I have (among a dozen other issues) is that at the end of his body close to his tail, he seems to be swollen. I read that Dropsy starts in the end and work forward. Is that still Dropsy? His eyes are not bulging (yet) and he doesn't really have any "pine cone" like symptoms.
I removed my plants, salted the water, checked all the levels (good to below normal) added Microbe-lift Thera-P for the amount it said on the package for my pond size. All my other fish seem fine, eating, swimming and just being beautiful koi.
The concern I have, is that, (although my Angel is an absolutely gorgeous koi, and that I would love to make him better as soon as I can) I am not sure if I should quarantine him, or keep him in with the other koi in the pond. I realize that the best advice is usually separate the sick fish, but will that not put more stress on the sick fish, causing him to get worse, faster?
There is no one here in this area to help me with this issue. Most stores, or vets are just not equipped with the right information needed for this kind of problem.
If the affected koi should be removed, I will do that. I think the way I have treated the pond water now, should help the other fish with any possibilities of catching anything contagious. I am at a loss:frown:
Someone told me it could be Ulcer Disease. I have searched everything and read a million pages on the disease, but nowhere does it say anything about quarantining the sick fish.
btw
all the parameters are normal
it did rain last night so the pH was high when I woke, but I did a 150 -200 gal water change and added some Restore and Microbe-lift pH down. All levels are now perfect.
When I noticed the fish... I added 0.1% salt solution (I read conflicting opinions on the amounts ).
There are some pics to give you a visual.
HELP!

Reaction score
I woke this morning, went to feed my fish and noticed that one of my big butterfly koi was not acting his normal hyper self. He would not eat (totally unusual for him or any of my koi). When I got closer to inspect him, I found this... he seems a little bigger in the middle. The issue I have (among a dozen other issues) is that at the end of his body close to his tail, he seems to be swollen. I read that Dropsy starts in the end and work forward. Is that still Dropsy? His eyes are not bulging (yet) and he doesn't really have any "pine cone" like symptoms.
I removed my plants, salted the water, checked all the levels (good to below normal) added Microbe-lift Thera-P for the amount it said on the package for my pond size. All my other fish seem fine, eating, swimming and just being beautiful koi.
The concern I have, is that, (although my Angel is an absolutely gorgeous koi, and that I would love to make him better as soon as I can) I am not sure if I should quarantine him, or keep him in with the other koi in the pond. I realize that the best advice is usually separate the sick fish, but will that not put more stress on the sick fish, causing him to get worse, faster?
There is no one here in this area to help me with this issue. Most stores, or vets are just not equipped with the right information needed for this kind of problem.
If the affected koi should be removed, I will do that. I think the way I have treated the pond water now, should help the other fish with any possibilities of catching anything contagious. I am at a loss:frown:
Someone told me it could be Ulcer Disease. I have searched everything and read a million pages on the disease, but nowhere does it say anything about quarantining the sick fish.
btw
all the parameters are normal
it did rain last night so the pH was high when I woke, but I did a 150 -200 gal water change and added some Restore and Microbe-lift pH down. All levels are now perfect.
When I noticed the fish... I added 0.1% salt solution (I read conflicting opinions on the amounts ).
There are some pics to give you a visual.
HELP!

Reaction score
jpg.gif IMG_0270.jpg (139.5 KB)
jpg.gif IMG_0268.jpg (125.0 KB)
jpg.gif IMG_0266.jpg (141.3 KB)

Sorry... had to figure out this photo stuff

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 410
Reaction score
jpg.gif IMG_0270.jpg (139.5 KB)
jpg.gif IMG_0268.jpg (125.0 KB)
jpg.gif IMG_0266.jpg (141.3 KB)

Sorry... had to figure out this photo stuff

Reaction score
My fish have already spawned for this year. They spawn twice in the Spring. The size is not what is bothering me as much as the issue with the tail. It is seriously not right.
I have them in a 0.1% salt solution now (I read conflicting amounts so I went with the least - would hate to kill all of them), hopefully that will kill any parasites and start relieving what I think is ulcer disease. Definitely concerned if I should isolate this fish from the others. All the others seem to be in perfect health. Weird that only this one is acting up. Has me stumped!

Reaction score
My fish have already spawned for this year. They spawn twice in the Spring. The size is not what is bothering me as much as the issue with the tail. It is seriously not right.
I have them in a 0.1% salt solution now (I read conflicting amounts so I went with the least - would hate to kill all of them), hopefully that will kill any parasites and start relieving what I think is ulcer disease. Definitely concerned if I should isolate this fish from the others. All the others seem to be in perfect health. Weird that only this one is acting up. Has me stumped!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Can you catch him and get a better photo?
BTW if it is indeed, something that salt will help, you need to start at .3% and work down to .1% over a week or more.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Can you catch him and get a better photo?
BTW if it is indeed, something that salt will help, you need to start at .3% and work down to .1% over a week or more.

Reaction score
I have never tried to catch any of my fish, they are super fast and I would hate to hurt it more.
I guess I will be adding more salt...

Reaction score
I have never tried to catch any of my fish, they are super fast and I would hate to hurt it more.
I guess I will be adding more salt...

Reaction score
I am working on trying to get an aquarium or tank I can get it into. I, too, am afraid that it may make the others sick.

Ask a Question