What is your ponding "area of expertise"? Water chemistry? Fish illness? Plants?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey, GPF members! Nothing official, here, but since I've learned that we can "TAG" each other, I wanted to create my own directory [so to speak] of members and what you are best at and/or most interested in. That way, if I really need YOUR advice in particular, I can "tag" you.

I'm just not good at remembering who to contact.....

Any thread that I start that contains a tag, will of course be directed to ANY AND ALL GPF MEMBERS & POSTERS. But there will be times when there's that ONE member who I really want to see the post & respond. For example, if I have a question about bogs, I might tag @addy1. Addy might not catch my post, but hopefully my "tag" will get her attention. BUT my threads/posts are meant for EVERYONE, not just the person I "tagged"!

• pond/bog construction
  • engineering-type construction [like, that involve physics and the laws of nature....]
  • DIY stuff
  • water chemistry
  • fish [koi or goldfish] illness/disease
  • general fish [koi or GF] care
  • fry care
  • box turtles
  • add anything else if I didn't .....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only thing I would say I am near expert level at when it comes to fish ponds is digging the hole and filling the pond with water.
I don't know, you have a lot of good advice when it comes to general pond care.....

And I can't even say that about me -- the part about digging the hole -- I love to dig holes, but gee, you gotta do it just right, and that's what gets me every time. Stupid clay!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have about 23 years of experience wintering pond successfully keeping fish alive and well, in harsh Canadian winters, and I am good at preventing sickness and death in my fish as they all live a long time, except for the little fish lately, some disappeared out of bottom pond again, think it was a snake...

I keep the water fresh and clean, and moving well. I have three connecting ponds and the top ponds are where keep the biggest fish, as the top ponds have the freshest water.
I am also good with hardy plants for harsh winters, and used to work in greenhouse making pond plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
M'mm I'm not an expert just very well read with a few years of keeping under the belt (big Belt ) 27 years
But I think we are strongest in :-
Fish [koi or goldfish] illness/disease
General fish [koi or GF] care
Maintenance routines have never stinted on them ever.

Dave

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have about 23 years of experience wintering pond successfully keeping fish alive and well, in harsh Canadian winters, and I am good at preventing sickness and death in my fish as they all live a long time, except for the little fish lately, some disappeared out of bottom pond again, think it was a snake...

I keep the water fresh and clean, and moving well. I have three connecting ponds and the top ponds are where keep the biggest fish, as the top ponds have the freshest water.
I am also good with hardy plants for harsh winters, and used to work in greenhouse making pond plants.

Oh, and another category: pond-side decor!

And while the cold is rarely EVER a problem here [well, not the sustained kind, anyway], I always have questions.....
Thanks!

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
M'mm I'm not an expet just very well read with a few years of keeping under the belt (big Belt ) 27 years
But I think we are strongest in :-
Fish [koi or goldfish] illness/disease
General fish [koi or GF] care
Maintenance routines have never stinted on them ever.

Dave

Dave, you and Larkin are already in my "book"!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No expert by any means. Just learning as I go. Like doing the plant scape and placing the rocks and very interested in protecting my fish trying everything in the process.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No expert by any means. Just learning as I go. Like doing the plant scape and placing the rocks and very interested in protecting my fish trying everything in the process.
Your ideas & comments are always on the practical and supportive side, which I appreciate.

Pond-scaping is one of my interests, but not something I'm good at.....

Ask a Question