j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Rain vanished for the moment so I will slowly crawl out of my cave and venture out to realms beyond..............till this afternoon when the horror returns

Our temps are higher and might reach 60 today so that's a plus

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Two days until the much anticipated 52°F day. Unfortunately, wind and rain are going to be joining it, so it won't be the nicest day, but that will mean melting snow, and Saturday looks pretty good at 48°F and sunny. The long term forecast is also looking pretty good. It doesn't stay that warm, but looks to stay in the mid-high 30s. Anything could happen beyond that, but that typically means we won't be seeing any more super cold stretches.

Meanwhile, I started my native plant seeds in moist paper towel yesterday. I tried that technique last year and it worked good for most species. In a week or two they'll be able to be planted in potting soil. That's always something I look forward to this time of year, even though they won't be planted outside for another 10 weeks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is after 10 pm and it is still 41 degrees .Been a busy day 4 trips to the post office to pick up 400 boxes of stuff ,Load them unload them and open and sorting done and boxes broke down to go to recycle center

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
WS jugs.JPG
JB, have you ever tried winter sowing? I'm doing it for the second year, and have I think 42 milk jugs outside, in the cold, snow, rain, wind, etc. with that many types of seeds, or almost that many. The idea is they sprout when the time is right, they get hardened off quicker and easier, and besides watching to make sure they don't dry out once they have sprouted, they are pretty easy to do! Google it if you have never heard about it. The best part is you don't have the seedlings getting very leggy and dying from too much moisture and from not being able to handle the wind and cold when first put outside. These are not pampered seeds, they are tough. I've never tried tomatoes and peppers, as I only grow a few, but for flowers, which I will need a LOT this year, I'm doing it this way.
This is when I put out the first jugs. No lids, you need to let the snow/rain and air in. Lots of drain holes in the bottom. Milk jug is cut 3/4 of the way around to the handle, so it can be opened once the seedlings get tall, and when the weather is warm during the day and cold at night. Just close the top at night. I use a pipe cleaner to hold them shut at this point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sissy, what in the world did you pick up that took 400 boxes??? I hope they weren't heavy, but knowing you, they were.
Here are the 46 winter sown jugs as of last weekend. The landscape blocks help to hold them in place on windy days.
46 wintersown jugs plus yogurt containers.JPG

And, a list of what seeds I have planted. As you may notice, I'm focusing on butterflies, bees, and birds this year, lots of flowers, and lots of native plants as well. Host plants for swallowtail butterflies and monarchs, as well. Had to laugh ... telling on myself for snatching seed heads from flowers at State Fairs, Airports, people's houses, and even from Wal-Mart! Hey, I was just pruning off that dead seed head, right? That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. ;)
2016 wintersown lists.JPG

Looking for sunny weekend and 60's Fri-Sun. I'll take that!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They were smaller boxes 3 stacks of empty boxes .

Attachments

• pretzel and funko boxes 016.JPG
    pretzel and funko boxes 016.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 97
  • pretzel and funko boxes 020.JPG
    pretzel and funko boxes 020.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 118
  • pretzel and funko boxes 027.JPG
    pretzel and funko boxes 027.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 74

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
40 today, 60 on saturday, then snow and rain coming again, down in the 30's.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
View attachment 89251 JB, have you ever tried winter sowing?

Yes! Not in containers, though. Most of my seeds were spread directly in the garden in December, and some more in January. I start some indoors for a little reassurance, in case I find any bare spots in the garden. I'm also adding more to the pond area, and I haven't decided where to put them yet, and I'm also planning a new garden, too!

I'm also starting some for relatives. It's amazing how many people like Orange Milkweed once they see it in person!

Nevermind my terrible handwriting. ;)
IMG_6088 copy.jpg

"Bottles" refer to my water bottle technique that I've been using the past few years, example: this image from last year
DSCN7945 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very cool @CountryEscape ! I think I might try it.

I have some onion seeds I ordered last year to try and get a better onion harvest. These seeds were developed by the Utah Pioneers when they came here. They are supposed to be best onions seeds for my latitude and climate. But I need to get them started now and did not want to do the inside seeds starts and try to harden them off before planting the sets.

milk jugs it is!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My seed gets tossed on the ground then I hope for a cold fall ow they sprout and then die. This last fall we left too early to reseed, so this spring I will be seeding once it is closer to non freezing. I have a ton of clean up to do. Got none done last fall.

Ask a Question