What is your weather like ... today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It is windy here again today, but sun is shining. Sissy, I ALWAYS have to have a scarf over my face when it's this cold and windy. That helps keep the cold air from burning your lungs. And, I typically have 2 jacket hats on, with the scarf holding them tight to my neck. I'm a weenie in the cold, but once I'm bundled up, I'm good to go. Neighbor is coming over to get some of his round bales of hay out of my barn (he stores it here) today, so I'll have to bundle up and go outside to say hello. Ice is about inch thick on pond again. Will wait until this afternoon to melt a hole and run the pump to "bubble" a larger hole again like I did yesterday. That 3' hole stayed thawed all day. I was quite surprised at that, figured it would start freezing again after being open. I know it doesn't need to be that large of a hole, and only had bubbler going for maybe 30 minutes to melt it that large, then shut it off. Floating heater was only on the pond for maybe 10 minutes or less. New plan for opening holes, saving me electricity. And it's much warmer today, 28 right now. Love the sunshine!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the pic says it all.......

Attachments

• 399791_343582085674738_291294860903461_1052772_1101437944_n.jpg
    399791_343582085674738_291294860903461_1052772_1101437944_n.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 289

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol koiguy! can't really say that here, we have had a nice winter until this last week or so.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think our weather is boring................as usual rain on the way again and about 41*. Just think I will copy and paste this in here from now on :neutral:

Liked it better when we were getting some snow or sun and not the gray rainy days :grumble:
Even a nice wild storm w/ thunder and lightning would be better................need some action around here! Better be careful what I ask for tho right? :eek:

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
its 34 degrees today, can't say I'm happy about it, and definatley ready for spring now that I bought a new toy yesterday.

bike3.jpg

It was just warm enough that I rode it up and down the street a few times before my face was freezing and I had to stop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
With the cold weather we are having, my pond froze again last night. I used the tank heater and thawed out a small area, then turned on the pump "bubbler". Well, I got a surprise, and hopefully not a dangerous one!
I turned on the pump, and as it thawed from below (about 1' past where the hole was from the heater), it started spewing through the ice, was kind of neat!
Bubbler forcing through small holes in ice.JPG
Then it came through full force, but the water was flowing on top of the 1-2" thick ice over the rest of the pond.
Full bubbler but cracks formed.JPG
Soon I started hearing cracking. The water was being pumped on top, and thus caused an air space below the ice, and the ice cracked under the weight of the water, which was now flowing through the hole from the heater, thank goodness! But, here are some more cracks in the ice. I was not worried about the cracks, but the sound of the ice cracking, and what harm that may have done to the fish. I will know when the ice is gone, which won't be for a while, I assume.
Ice cracked.JPG
You can see cracks in both the second and third pics. Once again, I turned the bubbler off, just wanted to open the solid sheet of ice. Will do that every weekend until it thaws again.
How about more winter pics, for those of you who HAVE winter, that is! I sure haven't gotten any amount of snow so far.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
CE take a look at the last pic enlarge it and it sort of looks like a body and the face in the upper left corner. Well half a face.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It was 34 when I started washing my car and by the time I was finished the water started to freeze on the car. Had to get all that salt off my car though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, Todd, I see what you're talking about. :) Funny, but when you posted that, I looked before I even enlarged the pic and could see immediately what you were talking about.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
About 1/2 of my pond is frozen, the aerator is keeping a nice hole in the main pond and the lotus pond. Darn cold yesterday, never went above 24. They are saying we will hit 41 today with snow tonight, cold tomorrow with snow/rain, then back up to 51 on wednesday, another temperature bounce!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I just looked, because it's very cloudy outside, and it's 27 and supposed to snow 1-3" by tonight. Great, I have to take my Charger in to have damage from accident in Jan. Good news is the snow is not supposed to start until after I get car to repair shop! It does NOT do well on snow and ice, but I got caught in surprise ice storm on Jan. 20. So, only 31 for high today, 36 tomorrow and then 46 on Wed. My pond is fully frozen again.

Ask a Question