What kind of algae is this? It looks like a pot of boiling green grits!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was using this large tub to soak some water hyacinth in a couple weeks ago. The WH all died and got pulled [and composted]. Day before yesterday, there were zillions of mosquito larvae in the water -- when I can, before I dump water, I like to harvest the larvae and feed them to the fish [YUMMY!]. But before I could get to them, literally in a day's time, the entire surface of the water was covered and "bubbling" with this algae! It had dissipated some by the time I took this pic.

I've had water left out before, but NEVER saw this happen before [and of course, there was Miracle -Gro in the water....but still.......]

And I hope it's OK for the fish -- a lot of it was mixed in with the larvae, so they had a nice "mosquito salad" for lunch :)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I was using this large tub to soak some water hyacinth in a couple weeks ago. The WH all died and got pulled [and composted]. Day before yesterday, there were zillions of mosquito larvae in the water -- when I can, before I dump water, I like to harvest the larvae and feed them to the fish [YUMMY!]. But before I could get to them, literally in a day's time, the entire surface of the water was covered and "bubbling" with this algae! It had dissipated some by the time I took this pic.

I've had water left out before, but NEVER saw this happen before [and of course, there was Miracle -Gro in the water....but still.......]

And I hope it's OK for the fish -- a lot of it was mixed in with the larvae, so they had a nice "mosquito salad" for lunch :)

View attachment 82894 View attachment 82895 View attachment 82896

This is generically termed FA (Floating Algae) by Fishery Pondkeepers. Several different algae specie display this pattern of growth. It stays on the bottom at night, but during the daylight hours some of the Oxygen that it produces is trapped withing the algae and caused clumps to break off and float to the water's surface only to sink again during the nighttime hours.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is generically termed FA (Floating Algae) by Fishery Pondkeepers. Several different algae specie display this pattern of growth. It stays on the bottom at night, but during the daylight hours some of the Oxygen that it produces is trapped withing the algae and caused clumps to break off and float to the water's surface only to sink again during the nighttime hours.
So that's why I didn't see much of it yesterday morning, but by the afternoon -- BOOM!

Guessing it's OK for the fish to eat? I mean, why not.....

Ask a Question