What kind of baby fish?

Reaction score
In May 2012, shortly after getting all of our koi we also got some small white mosquito fish. About a week later, the koi were spawning and we saw lots of eggs throughout the pond. A few weeks after that (around first of July), I noticed small white (about an 1/8th of an inch) baby fish swimming around. I caught one and put it in my son's aquarium and it is still thriving. I just assumed they were baby koi, but now as the original babies are growing, they are looking more and more like the mosquito fish. They are still white and getting to be about the size of the mosquito fish. I was really hoping for Koi, but now I am thinking they are the mosquito fish. What do you think?

When do fry start to look like actual koi?

Thanks! Jessica

Attachments

• IMG_2523.jpg
    IMG_2523.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 372

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
in the picture they look like koi fry to me...most koi are this color at first. catch a couple and check for the barbels (whiskers) at the sides of their mouths.. it can 3 days or 3 years for them to change or develope colors and patterns.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
if they have barbels they are Koi, without they look like they may be tuffy minnows. great with koi if they are shouldn't be a issue keeping them together,

Ask a Question