What kind of car do you drive; how old and how many miles?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I switched to full synthetic mainly because it doesn't break down as quickly and is less reactive to temperature. And if I'm tardy changing oil, I know there's an extra protection factor in using it.

I forgot for a minute that I was in the car thread and thought I was reading about what to feed goldfish :eek::LOL:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The explorer kept burning the oil up for 3 years and it was synthetic oil both added by the dealer and by goodyear and had to keep taking it back to them and took it to auto tech here and and both of the bosses own explorers with high miles and they suggested going back to regular oil because that is all they use in their older explorers and it worked 2 regular oil changes under it's belt and it runs great and I don't need to add oil every time I go out and carry oil with me because it burned it up so fast .I then talked to people that own them and they commented the same thing use regular oil .Ford people are very loyal to their explorers and auto tech feels the ame way about theirs .They keep wanting to buy hubbies explorer every time I go there .V 8's in the are the most popular like ours is .We go from here to NJ on a tank of gas .When we get to Atlantic City where friends live that is when we get gas .That is an 8 hour trip because of traffic it can be even worse .Washington loop and leaving VA going into Washington and up near the tunnel are a nightmare .Most miles on it are from that .OK JW the air must be getting thin up there :);)

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
The explorer kept burning the oil up for 3 years and it was synthetic oil both added by the dealer and by goodyear and had to keep taking it back to them and took it to auto tech here and and both of the bosses own explorers with high miles and they suggested going back to regular oil because that is all they use in their older explorers and it worked 2 regular oil changes under it's belt and it runs great and I don't need to add oil every time I go out and carry oil with me because it burned it up so fast .I then talked to people that own them and they commented the same thing use regular oil .Ford people are very loyal to their explorers and auto tech feels the ame way about theirs .They keep wanting to buy hubbies explorer every time I go there .V 8's in the are the most popular like ours is .We go from here to NJ on a tank of gas .When we get to Atlantic City where friends live that is when we get gas .That is an 8 hour trip because of traffic it can be even worse .Washington loop and leaving VA going into Washington and up near the tunnel are a nightmare .Most miles on it are from that .OK JW the air must be getting thin up there :);)
THAT I have heard before.
The zero weight synthetic oil is very slippery and thin and can be an issue with oil loss.
Several Toyota engines had oil loss issues because of this too and there have been a few recalls to change pistons with different designed oil control rings.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I go 6 months On Mobil 1.
I also use Mobil 1
I wait as long as 5k miles between changes. But my brain still says change it at 3k like with conventional oil.
I just changed my wifes car last weekend at 3,100 miles since last service and was a little surprised to see the date that I wrote on the filter. 5/2015.
We really don't drive much.:)
At this rate, a case of genuine oil filters from Toyota (made in Taiwan) will last me the rest of my life.

B

Burd

I've been cutting oil filter open, you would be surprised , like Fram is cheap garbage. Nissan, (FO my Infiniti) ac Delco and Mopar to name a few were quality inside. I'm cutting a Baldwin open in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
2005 Buick Lacrosse CSX, about 88,000 miles on it. I plan on driving it until the doors fall off. It's had a few mechanical issues since I bought it, but I've had no issues with the drive train or anything major. I bought it used in 2010. I had sat in the newer-model Lacrosse at the time and hated it as I could barely see out the back window (I really dislike the way they have been designing cars like that the past 7-8 years).

Hubs has a 2008 Lacrosse Super. It's the performance version of the Lacrosse--they only made a few hundred of them, from what I know. People don't realize how fast that car goes... It's a sleeper.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I've been cutting oil filter open, you would be surprised , like Fram is cheap garbage. Nissan, (FO my Infiniti) ac Delco and Mopar to name a few were quality inside. I'm cutting a Baldwin open in the spring.
Boy are you correct about Fram being junk!
I've seen at least a dozen where the bonded filter material became detached from the housing. They filtered nothing at best and at worst, added suspended particles of whatever into the engine.
I've used Purolator. I've never seen anything that concerned me.
I also use factory Toyota.
As well as genuine Kawasaki for my newer motorcycle.
At least they are good as far as my extended warranty is concerned.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I spent the past week down in the US driving between Denver and Albuquerque in a new GMC Denali.
That vehicle was full of various bells, whistles and sensors and I kept thinking - what was this vehicle going to be like in 10 years time? Probably half the sensors wouldn't work anymore and it would be cost prohibitive replacing them.
It got great gas mileage though, the engine kept switching between V8 and V4 power, averaging 24 mpg. That was nice to see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sold my 1999 Honda CRV this morning. Listed it on Craigs List yesterday afternoon and had almost a dozen inquiries ! Sold it to the first person who saw it :)

We take delivery of our new Subaru Outback Monday afternoon :)

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Subaru are made very well.
But they are pretty rare here because no one needs 4 wheel drive.
Toyota is selling a Subaru badged as the Toyota F "86".
It's a flat four engined sports coupe.
Why Toyota is selling a Subaru is anyone's guess. But Toyota must think pretty highly of that competitor.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I spent the past week down in the US driving between Denver and Albuquerque in a new GMC Denali.
That vehicle was full of various bells, whistles and sensors and I kept thinking - what was this vehicle going to be like in 10 years time? Probably half the sensors wouldn't work anymore and it would be cost prohibitive replacing them.
It got great gas mileage though, the engine kept switching between V8 and V4 power, averaging 24 mpg. That was nice to see.
Indeed.
I have the extended warranty on my vehicles because all of those electronic doo-dads scare me...And I'm a mechanic, as I mentioned.

Ask a Question