What kind of filter?

Reaction score
Hey all, I've got a pond-predicament and was hoping you would be able to help me. Basically, I've spend a LOT of money on an outdoor oval shaped pond about 3' deep, 7 ' wide, and 5' deep. I've lost a lot of money trying to figure out how to seal the pond from leaking. I eventually ended up tiling the final thing, but now there is algae build up frequentyl and I have to drain and refill the whole pond. What do I need to do to keep the water clear? There is nothing in the pond except water (no plant life or anything)

Reaction score
its above ground and is tile-lined. i was told i may need to get an exterior sand-pump filter?

Reaction score
no, its no longer leaking. I just meant that I spent an arm and a leg going through different liner types. I ended up just tiling the whole thing and it retains water just fine, the only problem is I dont know what kind of pump I need to keep the water clear.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you meen you didnt tile over dirt or a liner? lol !!! if you want fish build a biological filter. sand filters are great at polishing water, but dont perform the nutrient elimination that a good biofilter does. a bio filter thrives on the waste produced by your fish, and dead plant matter. sand filters need alot more maintainence,but are less efficient. along with plants, bio filters will produce a desirable ebviorment for your fish. make sure you fill and drain the pond a few times if its concrtete and the tile is mortared in due to lime leeching. but any water sitting still is going to get alge, exspecially if its in full sun. is this going to be a dedicated koi pond or will you have plants etc..?

Reaction score
Let me start over - I may have been a little vague. This pond is entirely built above ground. Its a brick encasement lined with tile (i'll provide a picture tomorrow). There is no leak, it is essentially an above-ground hot-tub sized pond. The problem is that there is no kind of filter or movement of water - so it grows gross amounts of algae and gunk. There wouldn't be any plants or fish (its at a fraternity house and so i'm sure some drunk kid would try and eat the fish). There is a beautiful tile mosaic on the floor of the pond, so getting a nice clear water is all that matters. All I want is something to circulate the water and prevent algae growth to keep the pond clean. What do I need to achieve this? (I'll post pictures tomorrow)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if thats the case,pool chlorine, and a small pump with fountain for circulation and estetics,and some algecide should do it. just add on a regular basis. i was being sarcastic about my tiling over dirt question..

Reaction score
ohhh, i was kind of confused. Is there an option that wouldn't require regular maitenance (chlorine regulation, etc.) Again - this is at a frat house and so people are unlikely to really care for things, if i can 'set it and forget it', it would be best. Can you provide any links to places to look for what I need to get?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no matter what chemical solution you choose somone is going to have to add it. bleach will keep it clear to but may kill birds or animals that stop for drink.. google fountain care products... i bet youll find something there.

Reaction score
Well what about an aquarium pump? Do they need chemicals added? I guess I kind of want a pump big enough to keep water clear like in an aquarium but without fish in it....

Reaction score
why dont you get one of those floating things that hold the chlorine tablets that you can get from a pool supply store...that way you could just add a few tablets every few months

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
every 10 days is more like it..i used a chlorine float for years until i offed the pool for the pond. snd i had it set at the smallest opening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
casey,
maybe not for your needs. but i use a skippy filter with an in-pond pump. 2,000-gallon pond in ground with epdm liner. the pump does 2,300gph, so recycles every hour. after one year, i never touch filter, and water is crystal clear 4' deep. never add chemicals. 15-koi are healthy & happy. i drink gin&tonic and enjoy the skippy filter. is so basic and the pond smells like a natural pond on side of mount hood.

my years of 10/20 gallon acquariums vs my 2,000 gallon koi pond w/skippy filter? no comparison.

Ask a Question