What kind of filtration for YOU?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Heard all about pond filtration. What do you do for yourself?
When I lived downtown, in an old (50's) house I would drink sweet water right from the faucet. Then we bought a new home up in the suburbs and our water came from a different treatment facility. And WOW is it treated! I can't drink it straight, smells like a swimming pool, brushing teeth is tolerable but that's it. They say this 'Chalk Bluff' treatment center is state of the art and provides above standards drinking water. That's all well and good but give me something I can drink!

We started out going downtown to where they had artisan wells and you could buy water by the gallon (25cents). They also offered distilled if that's your flavor. I'd get 15gal and it would last for around two weeks... But what a hassle to go get water and store it and lift 5gl containers, ugg, NO. Then we progressed to the filter pitcher, a PUR brand, water tasted good with much less effort but those cartridges get spendy after a while. After two PUR models I got a Zero Water pitcher, water tasted awesome but those filters even more $$ and the pitcher design is frustrating to use. Finally ditched all those toys for a new fridge with filtered (PUR) water and ice, the water is regulated to 50* so I prefer ice water. It's been great this summer for sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We are lucky to have delicious water from the tap. We're still on a well in our village - haven't tapped into Lake Michigan YET, although they're pushing us to join the parade on that one - and our water is minimally treated. We have looked at various water filtration units though, and will probably eventually get a whole house filter of some kind.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a well and put in my own double filter system .I know my aunt in Florida has a reverse osmosis system under her kitchen sink .My filter back flushes it's self and i have it set to back flush at 3 AM every day .Plus fridge has a filter .We get iron our water here and it does stain things a little but nothing i can find will take iron out even though they claim they do .My neighbor had an expensive system put in and it did not help and it claimed it took out iron .My water is not bad but it is freezing cold even in the summer .That is one of the main reasons also that i did not want to keep adding water to my pond everyday .i got the other liner laid out to let rain wash it off good .At least the 10x12 was a heck of a lot lighter than the big liner to pick up myself

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Never had water bill in NJ until new mayor of Edison decided to start charging for water. This way he could get more money ..We just had the sewage bill which they could not charge me for because I had a septic tank .Here the electric bill for the pump to run .

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Never had water bill in NJ until new mayor of Edison decided to start charging for water. This way he could get more money ..We just had the sewage bill which they could not charge me for because I had a septic tank .Here the electric bill for the pump to run .
They put us all on meters two years ago. I like it because my usage drops way down in the winter. Only July, August are the big bill months, 83 for July and 73$ for August. come winter I'll pay 20 a month.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Live in St. Mary's county in Maryland and our water is almost pure bleach! We have tried several filters and ended up going with Deer Park delivery. 5 gallon bottles on the hot and cold dispenser. It's a pain but the tap water is totally undrinkable not to mention the hardness. 7 hot water tanks, 4 dishwashers and 3 washing machines due to hard water. We also found out the water was not good for our cats. We lost 6 cats to bladder stones before we switched them to distilled water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have well water, very soft acidic, great tasting water.
My house in Arizona, rock hard water, city, treated, horrible taste. I put in a water softener and reverse osmosis, made the water tolerable.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Reverse osmosis has been on my mind for some time, initial cost had kept me away, not sure what maint is required for up keep. I've seen a lot of whole house systems just left to rot in the garage for some reason or other.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
reverse osmosis is cheaper now and I even installed one in my sisters house and it was simple to install and she got it off ebay .They are hard to find around here but a great system .I am thinking of putting one in my kitchen also .I put my own filters in and they were easy also and last year I put in a new bigger pressure tank .Went from a 20 gallon up to a 44 gallon proflow and it so much better .Just watched a you tube video and gave it a shot .A plumber wanted 900 dollars to buy and install it .I paid 249 dollars and got the whole kit with it including pressure gauge and brass fittings and brass connectors .They have to be brass fittings .They even included the pipe sealer and tape .Even the reverse osmosis came with everything .But both these houses come with all pex plumbing so that made it simpler

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not much, change the filter now and then. Don't recall the timing. Home depot, lowes sells ones that work just fine. I think once a year, notice the think. I have not used one in 6 years now.

not sure what maint is required for up keep

Ask a Question